Limited slip issue - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Old 01-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Limited slip issue

So today I pulled in my driveway in 2wd and the truck was spinning (like usual, my driveway is a mess) It ended up stopping while it was spinning and I noticed the drivers side tire was down to the pavement and had stop spinning. Usually the LSD in the truck is pretty stout and keeps both tires spinning, I also noticed when I gave it gas I could hear a groaning whiney noise coming from the diff. Should I be concerned? Im not sure whats normal slippage and noises from the 3rd gen LSD differentials.

turbodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Greg

Garage
If it has a Limited Slip and is not turning both wheels it sounds like it's not working.

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #3

I thought so but i know my old srt4 used to spin one tire if one had little to no traction and the other had traction, but when put under stress it would spin both
turbodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #4

What has most probably happened is that one or more of the retaining clips in your clutch pack has broken, not an uncommon problem due to Chrysler's piss poor design..

When my pinion gear nut dropped off my truck and the rear end locked up back in Oct 2013 I think it was, at the repair shop I had asked them to replace the clutch pack and also show me what was wrong. The photo below is not from my truck but is what can happen to cause this. This clip holds a tab on the clutch plates and when they break the clutch plates just spin and not do their job....

This is a link to show how to repair this.. and also has PLENTY of pictures to show the problem and repair procedures ..

Rebuilding A Limited Slip Differential - Dodge Ram 1500 4WD - Dana Trac-Lok - Off-Road Magazine

ArcticWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
Joey

I just Did a fluid change and not only did i find out that there was a broken clip stuck to the magnet. Now can i also get just the bearing caps. Looks like the left side has been worn down on the side. Nothing is wrong with the bearings from what i can tell. Just the side of the cap has been worn down due to the clip breaking off and catching the side of the cap till it worn down enough and fell down and got stuck on the magnet. Still rolls fine with no noise but now i think i will just use my car till i get all the parts and fix this right. Might as well get me a dana locker which should be a heck of lot stronger and not wear out as bad. Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #6

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytostupid View Post
I just Did a fluid change and not only did i find out that there was a broken clip stuck to the magnet. Now can i also get just the bearing caps. Looks like the left side has been worn down on the side. Nothing is wrong with the bearings from what i can tell. Just the side of the cap has been worn down due to the clip breaking off and catching the side of the cap till it worn down enough and fell down and got stuck on the magnet. Still rolls fine with no noise but now i think i will just use my car till i get all the parts and fix this right. Might as well get me a dana locker which should be a heck of lot stronger and not wear out as bad. Thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Greg

Garage
About 5 or so years ago I was talking to a Chrysler mechanic about broken clips. He showed me a few broken pieces of clips and a bearing cap. He said he used bearing caps out of a salvaged rearend to make the repair Makes me wonder how many repairs have been done in this manner and the customer charged for a complete axle...

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 02-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
Joey

The bearing cap is not broken, but since it is slightly worn from what i can tell, but will actually take it apart and look at it, and go from there. I was hoping to get just the two caps since they just hold the bearings in place. I just dont want to take it out, put it back in and take a chance on it cracking. But the Lockers are expensive though
Old 02-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #9
Greg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytostupid View Post
The bearing cap is not broken, but since it is slightly worn from what i can tell, but will actually take it apart and look at it, and go from there. I was hoping to get just the two caps since they just hold the bearings in place. I just dont want to take it out, put it back in and take a chance on it cracking. But the Lockers are expensive though
Yea I understand the caps get ground on the inside from the broken clip. The axle is also ground the same amount as the cap. Proper fix would be to replace the axle housing. The caps are machined to match the housing. The jury rigged repair is to use a pair of caps from a different housing.

This is pictures of an undamaged housing.

HTC 2018 TOTY

Old 02-09-2015, 04:51 AM   #10
Joey

I looked and the only damage is just to the cap. Not sure how nothing else did not get damaged. The axle is fine. Now where can i get just an axle housing. Most places i looked you have to get a completely rebuilt rear end.