hypothetical question? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Old 05-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #1

What size tire would you need in the front of a 4x4 if you wanted to run 4.56 in the rear with a 33" tire and still keep the 3.92 in the front?

2006 4x4 qc, Atlantic Blue, Diablo Predator, afe high breather, Performance Research and Development Heads, 260 cam, pacesetter mids, high flow cats, Custom Y pipe, NGK 5306 Plugs, Mobile 1 synth oil, power wire, and edge billet 2600 converter, 3.92 lsd, Auto Meter A/F guage with SRT-10 A-Pillar, Alpine HU, Focal components, JL Audio 6450 Amp, JL audio 10" sub.

Birdshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #2

What size tire would you need in the front of a 4x4 if you wanted to run 4.56 in the rear with a 33" tire and still keep the 3.92 in the front?
2006 4x4 qc, Atlantic Blue, Diablo Predator, afe high breather, Performance Research and Development Heads, 260 cam, pacesetter mids, high flow cats, Custom Y pipe, NGK 5306 Plugs, Mobile 1 synth oil, power wire, and edge billet 2600 converter, 3.92 lsd, Auto Meter A/F guage with SRT-10 A-Pillar, Alpine HU, Focal components, JL Audio 6450 Amp, JL audio 10" sub.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #3

Why the hell would you want to do that? Don't waste your time even trying. Save up to install both front and rear gears at the same time.
'03 Black SLT QC SWB 4x4 Off-Road-- Rough Country X-Lift -- Deaver progressive leaf springs w/ 4" lift -- Fox 2.0 Reservoir Shocks -- CST Upper Control Arms -- KORE CVs -- 35 x 12.50 Toyo OC AT2s on 17 x 9 Moab STRs -- AirAid CAI -- Comp 260 cam -- Manley springs & retainers -- Stu's Custom Pushrods -- JBA Cat-4ward mids -- Borla cat-back exhaust -- Dana S60 -- 4.56 Yukons -- Superchips / Diablosport Stack-- Mark VIII e-fan -- 8.2mm Taylors

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last." - Sir Winston Churchill

Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #4

I was not considering this for my truck. Just thinking out-loud.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 AM   #5

yea that would be bad...badddddd thing to do...you could say bye bye to 4wheeling if u did that.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Freeze:
Why the hell would you want to do that? Don't waste your time even trying. Save up to install both front and rear gears at the same time.
please explain why it would be a bad thing and a waste of time. instead of
Quote:
Why the hell would you want to do that?
maybe others would like to be educated on why. please share your knowledge. inquiring minds would like to know

"NO POWER IN THE VERSE CAN STOP ME." well... except maybe my wife

2006 4x4 sport QC

click below to see my truck

cold turkey on Sept. 28, 2009 at 0530

"Whenever anyone preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against the other, through class warfare, race hatred or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives...and we know what to do about it. Working together to produce an ever greater abundance of material and spiritual values for all. That is the secret of American prosperity."
IWANTMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #7

..let me take a stab at this---let's start out with the fact that I'm not a 4wd expert,but,I think I know why it wouldn't work well: the transfer case has helical-cut gears internally set-up (I believe) on a 1:1 ratio(to the front and rear driveshafts). The transfer case transfers the power from the trans to both the front and rear differentials,if the tire size and gear ratio differ front to rear,that would affect the rate of speed that each driveshaft turns (gets turned?) from the differential to the transfer case. Rate of speed (rpm's) being different,the transfer case would internally destruct itself as the internal gears of the transfer case would turn at different speeds(not the way it was engineered)....this is just going off of the top of my head....
04 Atlantic Blue RC/SB-1500/2wd -4.10's/lsd/17's,Superchips,PSC-001,Ramhammer,Airram scoop,JBA headers,custom y-pipe, Magnaflow muffler(SI/DO)dumped, Comp 260 cam,6.1 springs,6.1 pushrods,180 t-stat,NGK 4306's,Taylor shorty's,Western Chassis 2/4 drop,and a few things not yet installed......
kc1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #8

...I think Kevin was trying to figure out a way to maybe having a certain look to his truck maybe? Big rear tires,small fronts? Having a certain size front tire combined with the 3.92's to mimic the tire rpm of the 4.56/33" tall rear combo? Or,running in 2wd at the track so he could have a 4.56 rear gear and take out his front driveshaft? I'm not sure....
04 Atlantic Blue RC/SB-1500/2wd -4.10's/lsd/17's,Superchips,PSC-001,Ramhammer,Airram scoop,JBA headers,custom y-pipe, Magnaflow muffler(SI/DO)dumped, Comp 260 cam,6.1 springs,6.1 pushrods,180 t-stat,NGK 4306's,Taylor shorty's,Western Chassis 2/4 drop,and a few things not yet installed......
kc1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #9

^^ havent read what u guysa said soo...if i repeat something sorry

if you change the gears in the back. it has to be done in the front too. Having different gears.. is ..unusual, even if you're broke and cant afford both ends...most people wait to get all the money..especially if you think of it as, your life depends on the axles!

If you do however drive in 4wd with unmatched gear ratios..you run the risk of basically grenading your t-case, drivelines, ring and pinion etc.

Now... it is possible to have different gears! but then you'd have to run two different tire sizes..like you said..and that is a whole other pain in itself. Gears can be off by like..hundreths (4.11/4.10) but anything other than that? i wouldnt recommend.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #10

You're going to break drivetrain doing this.

If you want to change the look, smaller up front bigger in the back then disconnect the front driveline.

I rock crawl and I've gone places in a 4x4 that would terrify even a 4x4 enthusiast. You don't mismatch gears or tire size period.

For all you guys running larger tires and only have a factory spare..... If you blow a rare tire take one off the front and put it on the rear and use the smaller spare on the front. You'll tear up the LSD in the rear if you don't. The front is an open diff so no damage. Now if you bought a truck with a LSD in the front or you upgraded to something other then an open carrier in the front you need a full size spare.
www.facebook.com/PureSynRacing

AMSOIL Dealer - www.OilPros.net 1-855-OilPros, contact me for wholesale pricing or ask for a free catalog. Use Referral #470077

BigART is offline   Reply With Quote