Hemi Truck Club banner

Front hub & swaybar links replaced

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AlbertaHemi 
#1 ·
So over the Memorial weekend I drove Blue pulling my buddies 18 foot Lund Pro-V to Eagle Lake, Ontario for some fishing. Went with 5 buddys and three boats total. After 430 miles one way I noticed a little bearing noise as we pulled into camp. Damn, I had heard that noise about a month ago on the last two cold mornings of the spring. Almost sounded like rusty brake rotors, it went away after a few blocks each day and I never heard it again after the weather warmed. Other than that nagging worry we had a great 5 days of camping and fishing, probably the best weather we have ever had on a spring trip, and I would say the best spring fishing also.

Well I packed as light as we could on the way back (My buddies 05 Cummins 1 ton quad got most of the gear) but I still had to drag that Lund about half way home. We made it down the remote 160 kilometers of Canadian highway 502 with no bad noises, but we did see a truck in the ditch with a boat flipped over and the cops there that really made me worry about what we would do if something broke. The guardrails are not real substantial, let me tell you! But we made it to the border and then my buddies cabin in northern Minnesota to drop off the boat. By then I could hear the bearing noise again and it just got worse the rest of the way home. It was so bad about 30 miles out I pulled over to see what was glowing. Front left felt a little warm but couldn't see anything else wrong. We made it home with about 900 miles on the odometer for the the entire trip.

The next day I took her to a local mechanic that I just heard about and asked him to figure out what it was and also to check out a nasty front end rattle that had been getting worse lately. Well he called back about 45 minutes later and told me the front left hub was way shot and the sway bar links were bad causing the rattle. He did the whole deal for $540 with a premium hub and lifetime sway bar links. Man I would have given the whole $540 to get rid of that rattle! She drives like brand new now. Not real happy to have this stuff going out as the truck turned 80,000 miles, but it could have been a lot worse.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.