Hemi Truck Club banner

Front CV Joint Exploding

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 4 x 4, 4 door, 8’ bed Ram with a (what I measure) 4.5 BDS lift. I bought the truck in 2008 with 30k. At about 100k miles the front shaft CV joint started making noise and a mechanic friend said it needed to be replaced. Here’s where the trouble started. I had him put a new CV joint in and all sounded good for about 1k and on a trip traveling at 75, the CVJ just about exploded. I pulled over and had the tools to just pull the drive shaft off and continue on my way. Back home my mechanic got another CVJ and installed it for free. The very next trip the same thing happened at high speed. I’m now just a 2 wheel drive truck until I can figure this out. The CVJs weren’t factory. Can’t tell you what they were. My questions: Do I need a special CV joint because of the lift? The angle looks a little extreme. Do I just need to purchase a factory CV joint? The first one went 100k. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I have a 2004 4 x 4, 4 door, 8’ bed Ram with a (what I measure) 4.5 BDS lift. I bought the truck in 2008 with 30k. At about 100k miles the front shaft CV joint started making noise and a mechanic friend said it needed to be replaced. Here’s where the trouble started. I had him put a new CV joint in and all sounded good for about 1k and on a trip traveling at 75, the CVJ just about exploded. I pulled over and had the tools to just pull the drive shaft off and continue on my way. Back home my mechanic got another CVJ and installed it for free. The very next trip the same thing happened at high speed. I’m now just a 2 wheel drive truck until I can figure this out. The CVJs weren’t factory. Can’t tell you what they were. My questions: Do I need a special CV joint because of the lift? The angle looks a little extreme. Do I just need to purchase a factory CV joint? The first one went 100k. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
I have a 2003 truck and I have not had a joint fail but it did wipe out the transfer case bearing for the front drive shaft due to a 6"lift I am waiting to purchase an indexing kit for the case to lesson the angle before trying to fix the bearing

It is a double ujoint for better flex but it still doesn't work well with a lift

#7 ·
Tom did you get the front shaft fixed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.