Hemi Truck Club banner

Differential rattle and rubbing sound

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  SUPER BEE 
#1 ·
Hi, new here. I looked at previous post and didn't find anything about the issue I have. My truck is a 2012 1500 express 4x4 with a 3.92 rear with 15K. I have been having a rattle coming from the rear diff when I drive up a steep incline under load or while towing a trailer under load or in the mountains. It is very loud and sounds like a safety chain has come off and is bouncing off the road. It is loud enough oncoming traffic can hear it. There is no loss in performance other than the tranny hunting gears at low speeds and inclines. Tow/Haul helps.

Took it to the dealer the first year I had it and they said they couldn't duplicate it. Took it again and took the tech with me. Duplicated the sound and he said it may be parking brake. I applied it during the noise and no change. I am taking it back Monday and having them check it out and check the pinion gear because of recall. I love the truck but the BS the dealer and Dodge puts you through sucks. I guess the policy is to have you stranded out towing before they will assume any liability. Pretty Cheesy!! Had issues with my 2010 Challenger and now this one. Love the truck and she is a keeper. Just need to know if anyone else is having this issue. Thanks

#6 ·
:welcome-0005a: To HTC! :thumb:

Stay on them if its the pinion nut. I dropped my driveshaft and tore up the rear on my 03 due to it. Mine wasn't included in the stinkin recall though.:banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.