Hemi Truck Club banner

Clunking/chirping sound under my truck

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  pri_i_oh 
#1 ·
Alright fellow mopar peeps. 2003 1500 4x4 hemi. I have a chirping sound going down the road. If I give it gas or hit the brakes hard the sound goes away. I also acquired a vibration at low speeds. And some clunking when I go in and out of gear. All of which sounds like u-joints but they seem tight. However, when i twist the driveshaft in neutral i have about 1/2-3/4" play in the rear end....

#7 ·
Classic symptoms

#8 ·
I'm sure you guys are right. If you wrote o book describing bad u joint symptoms this would be it....lol. I was embarrassed to even post this but it was weird that there wasnt play in the u joint. I figured it would really loose but I'm gonna change both this weekend

#9 ·
Well, apparently that wasnt the issue. Although the chirping sound seems to have disappeared. When I pulled the u joints out they actually looked pretty good. I was impressed for having 224k miles. However, I'm thinking it has something to do with the rear end possibly. Im still getting a pretty bad clunk at low speed (15-25 mph) and if I let off the gas and level off at about 70 I get a pretty bad shimmy. How much play should the driveshaft have?

#11 ·
When you change the gear oil be sure to check that pinion nut. Mine made noise just before the trip that it snapped off on.

#14 ·
If you have a limited slip you will need additive.

#15 ·
Well maybe that's where I screwed up. I dont remember putting an additive in when I changed my fluid last time but that's been at least 4 or 5 years ago. I would think something would've happened way before now. Maybe I did and I just dont remember....lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.