ATS Transmissions - Page 149 - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Like Tree498Likes

Old 03-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #1481
Leon

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bada44 View Post
Hey Lyon12 how are you doing bud? I can tell you one thing 456s and a 2 door 2 wheel drive truck will be a bit squirrely.... you will probably be okay with the 456s in your heavy four-wheel drive truck with the tall tires..... my 2 cents.
I'm doing well thanks, how about you? Hope everyone is staying safe with the Ronapocolypse!
I'm looking ahead a bit and figure I might want some wider tires, 305/50R20 are the only ones close that wont break the bank. The effective ratio with the small diameter tires is 4.24 for 4.11 gears and 4.7 for 4.56 gears. Think I better stick with 4.11 or she'll be screaming on the highway. I'm sure either one is a heck of a lot better than the 3.55, thanks for the input everyone! Hopefully this info helps Amanda and EDBONE7.

Lyon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #1482
John

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDBONE7 View Post
I want everyone to know that this ole' Vet appreciates all your hard work, testing, experiments and most of all "Patience."
I am not going to make as much power as you guys, but enough to be concerned.
If you guys can successfully put the transmissions through testing that you have done thus far, I should be fine with one.
I do have a question.
Has anyone here utilized the ATS Torque converter?
I was going to use one with a 2400 stall, but ATS only seems to offer 1900-2100 stall. Unless I am missing something.
I agree, much interest in the ATS transmission, just in case I have to replace my tranny again. I have a performance remanufactured tranny that is holding up really well for now. Like you I have no plans to build a race truck, but I do love more performance for the street.

SUPER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #1483
Greg

Garage
I'd give them a call about stall for a converter. They specialize in diesels and 4x4 trucks. I'm sure they will build you anything you ask for.. if not go with edge converters or if you want upper end converter talk to Martin Saine. I've used Edge converter without issues and the MSaine is pure jewelry and bullet proof.

1956 Jeep Willys Pickup Hemi powered "Street Rod project"

1# 2017 HTC FASTEST HEMI List....
Current 1/4 mile [email protected] (2018)
Current 60' PB 1.351 (2019) mechanical issue for 1/4m

HTC 2018 TOTY

Support vehicle- 2007 QC G56 4x4 diesel
Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #1484
Leon

Garage
Troubleshooting time

Well I guess all good things gotta come to an end. My torque converter is staying locked at stoplights after it is warmed up. Seems to be locking and unlocking fine on the highway. Shudders and part throttle around 30mph. I tried throwing in the Co-Pilot bypass jumper and it is still doing it. Advice is appreciated, this is my plan of attack so far:
1. I've read it's an issue with low fluid level. It isn't low, I'm going to drop the pan and change the filters (maybe the filter came loose?). Could my dipstick be reading wrong with the trans change???
2.Electrical: I've read there is a brake switch that should command TC unlock. Anyone know what wire it is, where or how to jump it??
3.Hydraulic: I've ordered a gauge that will hook up to the TCC unlock/lock ports. We'll see if there is pressure on the unlock side
4.Torque converter failure: sounds like this is rare, when I pull the engine to put in the stoker it's going back to Andre- for a very reasonable fee he is going to inspect, change bearing and lockup and fix anything that might be broken.
5.Pump: If all else fails should I replace this when I pull the engine? Does the ATS have the same improvement that the Sonnax offers??
Old 05-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #1485
Mark G Senior Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyon12 View Post
Well I guess all good things gotta come to an end. My torque converter is staying locked at stoplights after it is warmed up. Seems to be locking and unlocking fine on the highway. Shudders and part throttle around 30mph. I tried throwing in the Co-Pilot bypass jumper and it is still doing it. Advice is appreciated, this is my plan of attack so far:
1. I've read it's an issue with low fluid level. It isn't low, I'm going to drop the pan and change the filters (maybe the filter came loose?). Could my dipstick be reading wrong with the trans change???
2.Electrical: I've read there is a brake switch that should command TC unlock. Anyone know what wire it is, where or how to jump it??
3.Hydraulic: I've ordered a gauge that will hook up to the TCC unlock/lock ports. We'll see if there is pressure on the unlock side
4.Torque converter failure: sounds like this is rare, when I pull the engine to put in the stoker it's going back to Andre- for a very reasonable fee he is going to inspect, change bearing and lockup and fix anything that might be broken.
5.Pump: If all else fails should I replace this when I pull the engine? Does the ATS have the same improvement that the Sonnax offers??
Hey bud I would contact Clint before you tear into the transmission you do have warranty and you are a member of the test team correct? Clint is going to want to know what is happening in detail. I will send him a message now letting him know.
Ghost03hemi and Redtruck-VA like this.
I stand for the flag!

Engine built by Go For Broke performance
[email protected]
bada44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #1486
Mark G Senior Member

Garage
I heard back from Clint and he said call them on Monday and get them on the line so they can help diagnose the issue.
I stand for the flag!

[email protected]
Old 05-11-2020, 06:40 AM   #1487
Stu

Garage
I will need to pass on to Clint that my ATS trans and Copilot are working awesome. Smooth shifting even under wot and 7psi boost. The turbo starts building up boost around 3000-3200rpm. The Pro Edge is acting like a 3000 stall tc. The Copilot pressure increase matches the throttle position perfectly. Top-end pull is very strong. All three feel like a perfect match to each other. Very satisfied with the results so far.
Ghost03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #1488
Leon

Garage
Just got off the phone with Clint, was a good chat. Sounds like the TC is the most likely culprit in this. Here's the condensed version:
-545 doesn't have the ability to lock the TC in 1st gear- thus not a solenoid failure.
-I'll be hooking up gauges to the TCC lock and unlock test ports to make sure it isn't a pump or TC limit valve (in the pump body). Clint says he hasn't seen this but as there is Sonnax upgraded parts out there to fix this issue I'd say it isn't unheard of.
-Was wondering about the correct fluid level, just to be 100% sure the dipstick was correct and it wasn't low. He says 1/8" below the case split.
bada44 likes this.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #1489
Mark G Senior Member

Garage
Glad you got some answers.
I stand for the flag!

[email protected]
Old 05-12-2020, 02:59 AM   #1490
Stu

Garage
I run my ATS trans at the normal oem operational fluid levels.
Ghost03hemi is offline   Reply With Quote

« 8 spd swap | - »