Hemi Truck Club banner

ATS Transmissions

137K views 2K replies 34 participants last post by  bada44 
#1 ·
I just had a great conversation with Ryan and Dennis at ATS diesel. They are very interested in working with us to create a transmission along with their co-pilot transmission controller. They will be in contact with me in a couple days about testing their products out. Please refer back to this thread with any questions or complaints you have about products that you have purchased from ATS diesel.

#4 ·
So what exactly was the conversation you had with ATS Mark?
they will be looking for some of us to test out transmissions and transmission controllers to develop a transmission that will work with our platforms... Hopefully it will all be free to us they need more data to build properly.

#8 ·
I'm a non believer, but using 65rfe/ 68re parts does sound promising. good luck guys.

#9 ·
I'd love to help , not sure what I can do.

#10 ·
I am going to sit back and watch this. I have spoken to a few big time trans builders and they all say straight line power is fine that's not the issue. It's the downshifts that kill it every time especially with power and let's be honest here there is not a single person out there that wants a transmission they cannot floor from a roll steady crushing it's just crap if you can't ( been doing it for years trust me it sucks having to downshift and wait). The new setup sonnax just came out with is likely a little bandaid for your average power but add a blower or a 200 shot and forget it same ball park. All in all anyone that goes this route is going to have a ton of time tied up in there truck with labor and what not and they will want a ton of info and what not recorded for this the best person for this is going to be someone that can do all the work to the T the way they say or suggest and has a second truck to drive when the trans blows which it will blow. Downside is you will need a scanner because whoever it is will need a good scanner for the quick learns and what not. I am not against this just stating it's not really going to be worth it because in the end we know what the outcome will be. By all means anyone that jumps on this for testing that needs help or info I am here to help if needed just let me know.

#12 ·
but add a blower or a 200 shot and forget it
With that kind of power, you shouldn't be using the 545rfe trans anyhow.
I agree with you Keith 100%. The most that can be gained out of this is a more reliable 545rfe trans for a lightly modded Hemi engine at best. It's disappointing that they can't do their own testing and data gathering. But, lets face the facts. How many mid 12 second street Hemi Rams are out there that the 545rfe(stage 3) can hold up on and be reliable at the same time? Believe the 545rfe mods are almost there to make that so. But, wouldn't use the 545rfe on anything faster than that! :nonono::icon_nono:

#11 ·
Keith, you can lead them to water, but you can't make them drink..

#14 ·
Reading reviews is not always the most accurate way to judge a company and its services, but does show a certain direction a company leans toward.

#16 ·
And speaking of reviews goggle Martin Saine transmissions and compare his reviews with the others. I know I really like the one he built for me over a year ago. Plus I blew a cooling line and ran it a half a mile basically empty after stopping trying to get off the road. I was sure it was burned up. Trailer ed it home and repaired the hose temporarily and filled it back up seriously thinking it was in for a rebuild. But no, it hung 2nd to 3rd once and back to normal. This is one tough trans not counting the constant testing resulting with a 12.37 @ 111mph. I have no doubt it will easily hold next year power.

#43 · (Edited)
Martin has been a favorite vendor of the Dakota R/T club since 98/99. Nobody has a better reputation, or builds a better dodge trans. He won't touch a 545rfe, I tried. LOL.

If ATS doesn't do something to fix the 2nd prime issue and the no WOT into OD issue, it just doesn't matter what else they do. I need a trans right frigging now, I don't have time to wait for what might be. IF they do figure this out, and that's a big if, switching back will be just a trans swap and flywheel change away. That and loading a tune.

I'm kind of looking forward to driving a manual again, especially one with no clutch to worry about :dance: I don't put tons of miles on this thing, most days under 25. I can live with the manual VB as long as I know I am done once and for all with the trans.

#18 ·
This is by no means a solution to our problem, but for those not looking to do a complete trans swap, but also are not looking to run 12's, I'd give ATF in David FL a call. They built Otniel's trans a long time ago, and he specifically to me he got 7,000 from a SharaDon Stage 3, and 60,000 out of his ATF before he sold it, and went to a T-56. Their website doesn't say anything about the 545, but I'd give them a call and see what they'd offer.

#20 ·
I'd give ATF in David FL a call. They built Otniel's trans a long time ago, and he specifically to me he got 7,000 from a SharaDon Stage 3, and 60,000 out of his ATF before he sold it, and went to a T-56. Their website doesn't say anything about the 545, but I'd give them a call and see what they'd offer.
He towed a heavy dump trailer most of the time with his qc too. It would be worth the call. :thumb::thumb: Believe Otniels trans had 68rfe parts in it too.

#22 ·
The 545rfe has been in use since 2003. Steady upgrades to the engine has been made but the trans has been left behind for a reason. If no one has figured it out in 13 years then I wouldn't waste anymore time/money on it. But I understand people's resistance to change, after all look at the years not counting some serious money I spent trying make the 03 pcm work. And for those that didn't keep up with my adventures I used 5 pcm with 3 of them with multiple B&G flashes plus stacks and various tricks for idle. So I know all about beating dead horses. When it came to the 545rfe I recognized if you had horsepower and wanted to use it an alternative to the 545rfe was needed. So learn the lesson from others or repeat the lessons with your own money.

#23 ·
Let me just say, we have a very large company here with a lot of research and development possibilities. Before everybody gets all up in a worry about having to spend money, let's wait and see what they have to say. I was told that we have a market that they want to be in, thus the development of the co-pilot technology. I will admit it's price point is very pricey but it's a possibility that it may do what they say. They are looking to gather more data to build a reliable transmission. They've been through this with the 68 in the diesel trucks, so they are willing to do the same thing for the 545. Let's give them a chance before we completely diss them.

#24 ·
It certainly would make it easier for many folks if there was a solution that didn't require flashing the pcm. I suspect the whole package will be in the $5000 range. Let's see what happens, after all its not costing anything to watch.. good luck..

#34 ·
Maybe see if the accelerator pedal assembly along with remote APPS is available. I believe these will become hot items shortly.

#30 ·
There are little excuses for dealer prices. Ask for a breakdown of the estimate. If I'm being insulted I want to know the details....
On my 89 it had a bad upper control arm that aren't available used. Had to get it from the local dealer. It was priced as if I was buying one of his kids.

#37 ·
Still would like to test out the CoPilot on the 03 & 05 just to see how it does. It's worth at least testing it out. :hide:
Absolutely, then you will know one way or another if it is worth anything...

#39 ·
We'll see if they will let me and Mark test one out(only for FREE). If it works as they say it does, I would be willing to do more testing with their ATS trans also. Can guarantee you, I'll beat the dog poo out of it for sure! Can do testing with the 03, then the 05.

That means, EVERY Funday Sunday, Midnight Madness and any other drag racing I can get in at Orlando Speed World. Multiple down shifts into 3rd, 2nd gear boosting, ect, ect! Hell, might even get a trailer to tow Marks truck to the track. Then race the dog poo out of the my truck. Then tow Marks truck back home.... Want to do a dyno on the 03 at 14psi boost too. I'll make sure Mark beats the dog poo out of his truck also. :thumb:

Now it's up to you (ATS) Ryan & Dennis to set us up for testing your ATS products(FREE of charge of course). Me and Mark will supply all the info and testing data to ATS. Lets do some REAL testing! I will give you a call Ryan & Dennis to introduce myself also.

Marks Turbo Hemi(5.7) Regular Cab 05 Ram Truck:
Stock with the exception of a rear mount turbo running 8-9psi boost(at least 100rwhp added) with charged392(Keith) tuning. He has a front mount air to air intercooler. Plans on forging his Hemi engine for more boost.

Stu's Turbo Hemi(5.7) Quad Cab 03 Ram Truck:
Forged 348cid(5.7), 9:1 cr, RV camshaft, ported & polished gen 3 heads, s/s oem size intake & exhaust valves, PSI valve springs, forged Manley push rods, ARP head & main studs, 6.1 Hemi timing chain & oil pump, front mount T76 turbo, air to water intercooler, Snow stage 2 water/meth kit, 50lb(@49psif) injectors, custom twin fuel pressure regulators(raise or lower fuel pressure to the boost I want to run, 6 to 14psi boost), 400plh fuel pump, 84mm throttle body, KRC boost tune, 4" full length exhaust system with twin diesel mufflers, Sharadon stage III trans with 2800 stall Edge Pro Torque converter, Sonnax line pressure booster, 4.56 gears, Caltracs traction bars, SRT10 22" wheels. Built this truck to be a daily driver as well as some track fun in full street trim. Did a dyno check/test, and it did 488rwhp/534rwtq with only 8psi boost. It now can run 14psi boost. Ran the truck at Gainesville dragway with 10psi boost in full street trim. It did a 12.8@109mph when it finally did get traction off the line with the street tires. Haven't ran it at the track (1/4 mile) with 14psi boost yet. Can provide vids of the truck racing at the track in full street trim/daily driver.

Stu's 05 Turbo 392 stroker Hemi Ram street/dragstrip Truck:
The build starts in 2017.:dance:
Build spec's: Top Secret! :lol::D

#40 ·
After reading all these trans threads makes me realize how behind the times I am , the last auto I built was a 904 w/2.77 gear set. But I have leaned a ton.

#41 ·
You should be able to jump right in there on a A518/46rh. Same transmission just with an od and LU converter.

#48 ·
1st thru 4 are close to the A833,

1st 3.00:1
2nd 1.67:1
2nd Prime 1.50:1
3rd 1.00:1
4th 0.75:1
5th.067

The T56 is good box to work with lots of Parts out there to put them behind Mopar Small/Big blocks and gen3 hemi's, I myself am going the A833 route(only because I have a good box done) a t56 will take 400-500Hp depending on how hard you drive it and other factors, the A833 is not indestructible, but treat them right they’ll go 600 with a rebuild ever year, 700 depending on maintenance and how hard you powershift and if your into 4500-6500 launches.
you'll give a up a bit launch with the T56 1st ratio vs the 545, but 2nd and 3rd will make up for it in acceleration .
you’ll be able to launch harder with the Auto and a good convertor ,a Manual trans tends to hit the tires harder, and the rest of the drivetrain.
The other to keep in mind parasitic(sp) loss,
Tom Hoover once stated that a well-built 727 takes up to 35Hp to operate, while a A833 takes 15-20 depending on fluids….honestly I don’t remember what a T56 takes( if I had to guess I’d go between 20, 25), I know the old Munice’s were 15-30 depending on fluids and ratios the ford Top loader was about the same, but much easier to shift then A833s and GMs boxes.
History has showed us from 03-04 hemi truck dynos that the 545 can rob as much as 45-50 Hp.
I got My 2000 4.7 Dakota with the NV3500 Hd, down to 14.10s , but that box had
1 2 3 4 5 R
4.02 2.32 1.40 1.00 0.73 3.55
We installed the close ratio
1 2 3 4 5 R
3.49 2.14 1.38 1.00 0.73 3.55
That dropped the truck into the high 13s(13.95,13.90)
Swapped it out with a A body 18 spline box
Ratio. 1st 2.65 2nd 1.93 3rd1.39 4th 1.0 it went a best of 13.75
The close ratio builds a more constant momentum
I ran 3.92s in the Dakota.

Reactions: 04sthemi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.