Anyone used the Napa filters for their service. - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Old 08-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #1

Anyone used the Napa filters for their service.

Just bought the filters for my Hemi, I am also trying to get the PML pan through Moe's but his site is down. My question is has anyone used these filters, and do I have the right ones (sump ATP 1-8595, spin on ATP 1-8593), I know the 4wd are different from the 2wd and when I looked at the NAPA site the 4wd shows both while the 2wd shows only the one I have. Also I have about 20 qts of Valvoline atf+4, I had my truck serviced for the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor and the dealer wanted to do Tranny flush, Hemi Tune, brake fluid flush, and rear axle fluid change, I had to remind him that I just did the plugs 12000 miles ago, also they did the rear axle 6000 miles ago, and that I could this service for cheaper than the $550 they guestimated.

ramajamahemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #2

i use NAPA filters for everything, just did my trans and installed the NAPA filter and used about 9 quarts, this is with a valve body removal/install. from what i understand just a fluid/filter change should be 8 quarts. if you are unsure about the filter being correct just give them a call in the morning to verify.
tigman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #3

I used the napa filters and of course AMSOIL for my swap and have been very pleased.
Hemi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 07:20 PM   #4

Garage

The NAPA store near me knows almost nothing about the Hemi. Tried to tell me it's the 4.7L. Had to order the tranny filters -- would've taken two days and cost $10 more than Advance, who had 'em in stock, along with the pan gasket. On the flip side, NAPA had lug nuts for my Ram, but at the store on the other side of the county. Aaarrrrgggghhhh!
MikeHTally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #5

I use Napa Products a lot until I talked to a very close friend of the family who owns the shop I take my truck to and he told me all the problems he has had with Napa and through his experience he has found Car Quest parts to be much better.
screeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #6

there has been problems with the flat filter not getting installed/re-installed correctly.... it was rumored that the O gasket was not seating correctly, causing air to be sucked in, foaming the fluid, causing all sorts of weird tranny issues. I used Mopar filters (i have the lifetime powertrain warranty) because i did not want any finger pointing if truck ever goes in for mechanical failure. for the difference of $20 in filters (i replaced both), i was worth the piece of mind to me. I do use Napa gold engine oil filters, for years and years, and have never had any problems.
madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:27 AM   #7

that has absolutely nothing to do with the napa parts, alot of i will call "mechanics" at the dealerships were also doing the procedure incorrectly, that problem occurs when people that do not know how to correctly install the new seal, most either dont seat the seal completely in the hole or will stick it on the filter before putting it in the hole, or forgetting to remove the old one and stacking the seals, i will agree that napa guys either know nothing or "know everything" as long as you know what you are talking about you really dont have to worry about the lay auto parts store guys.
JohnnywithaHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #8

Going with the PML pan, use the 4x4 filter with it. NAPA # ATP1-8594. The pick up tube on a 4x4 filter is about a 1/2" longer than the 2WD.
Hemidup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #9

Great info Jerry, thank you.
04HEMIQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote