Hemi Truck Club banner

Anti-Spin Differential

8K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Supershafts 
#1 ·
My glove box sticker says I have an Anti-Spin differential (DSA). I thought this meant that the rear wheels were locked together but I read here that it is a limited slip. I have noticed that when making tight turns one of my rear wheels will skid/hop and I do not remember if it did this when i first got the truck. Does this sound normal or like something needs rebuilt?

Other things listed on the sticker (not sure if any of these make a difference)

All 5 speed automatic tr (DGE)
5 speed automatic 5-45RFE (DGQ)
Lock up torque converter (DHA)
Corporate 9.25 LD rear (DRB)

#2 ·
Was the diff fluid replaced recently??
Hop is normally caused by lack of limited slip additive.

Also could possibly be pumpkin or wheel bearing.

#3 ·
No it wasn't but it is probably due to be changed. I don't think it is a bearing but I will keep that in mind. I guess I will check the pumpkin and change the fluid. Thanks

#4 ·
Well it has been awhile.... I tried changing the rear differential fluid using mobile 1 and the additive from advance auto that stated it was for Chrysler products. When I pulled the cover to drain it everything looked good...no shavings or chipped gears. Drove it and one day when i was backing up the rear wheels hopped so bad it felt like I drove up on a curb. When I got home and turned in the driveway I was moving at just above idle and when I turned the wheel the inner rear wheel stopped turning which caused the truck to stop without giving it more gas. So I had it towed to a shop because I was convinced it was the clutches. The mechanic pulled it apart and said everything looked fine to him but I had him replace it anyway ( replaced carrier bearings, pinion bearings, crush sleeve, pinion seal, axle bearings, axle seals, carrier, and new oil and additive). Drove it in a parking lot in circles and after engaging the four wheel drive the rear inner wheel began to skip/hop. It did this in both four wheel and two wheel drive but putting it into four wheel drive seems to bring it on. Also driving straight I never feel the wheels lock up or bind...it is always in a turn and it does it driving forward or reverse. Any ideas? I was thinking the transfer case.

#5 ·
Did you get this fixed? Clearly sounds to me that you need more anti-slip additive. Also since this is the same condition as was before the overhual. I would question what your mechanic actually did. Did you see the old parts when you went to pick it up? Good luck..

#6 ·
Yea I think I got it worked out. The short of it is that it probably was the additive. Thanks.

#8 ·
Welcome Supershafts. I believe he posted that they did change clutches during the overhual. I haven't heard torsen style differentials mentioned in association with our Rams that I can remember. Maybe just me.... Can you provide reference to their usage with Dodge? Thanks,

#9 ·
Maybe i shouldn't have used torsen, but torsen is clutchless limited slip a little different than the other gear style limited slips, i should have used gear style limited slip or helical but torsen is also another style of clutchless, the eaton true trac is a better option to the clutch style limited slip.
I have used the eaton TT in many different applications, from Drag to Off-road, Road racing and just street trucks and cars looking to get away from wearable clutches, and customers looking to get away from the problems stuey was having

#10 ·
I've used a DTT for a long while and like it's traction abilities. What I don't like is there a very slight bachlash that develops over time. Talked to Eaton's DDT tech rep and he told me that indeed it was normal for them to have some backlash since it is all gear driven. There is NO rebuild kit available for the DDT. And Eaton recommends using Dino gear lube only.

#12 · (Edited)
i'll have to speak with eaton and find out what there specific reasoning is for that
I was told by the rep that the dino oil transfered heat better, I'm using dino as recommended but I don't buy into his reasoning.

Make that call, I'm interested in if the story has changed.

#13 ·
I never heard of dino oil being better at cooling or removing heat than syn oil, as one of the better properties of syn is dealing with heat better.

Well eaton says not to use it because it causes the gears to slip on each other to much and removes some effectiveness of the TT.
I haven't seen anything negative, but thats what eaton says

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.