Hemi Truck Club banner

A518/46rh/46re/47/48re rebuild

140K views 2K replies 27 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
Ok all these trains are basically the same internally design wise. The 47/48 have a stronger planetary set in them but it is interchangeable into the 518/46 models. I have a 518 that I am tearing down now for a rebuild. The trains as of rite now needs a front planetary it is aluminum and only 4 pin design that's not going to work for me upgrading to steel 5 pin set. The rear planetary I cannot get to yet as there is what they call an 800lb spring that requires a press to get out. This is not a step that in anyway can be or should be done without a press it can kill you! Look at this thing

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Once the rebuild kit comes in and the planetary sets if I need the rear set not sure till I take housing to work and remove big deadly spring! I will be posting more pictures as I go and also taking a pics and specs of it as I rebuild it. This is going to be fun. I am building the trans for a target Hp of around 700hp if that fails then I will swap out the two main shafts and the drums for diesel drums (they cost money) and it will be 1100hp capable all day. For now there will be no trans brake as it is suggested not to do it without the shafts anyway! This will be interesting. This trans has factory ratios of

2.45-1 optional 2.77-1 (can order)
1.45-2 optional 1.55-2(can order)
1.1-3
.69-OD

This should make for taking off quicker these is less rotating mass in this trans. The converter is also beefier in that it will have more inertia so the stall can be a tad lower than normal. We will see it as it goes!

#8 ·
Oh, this going to be fun....

#9 ·
:popcorn:

#11 ·
Hey if you can Mario weigh them please if at all possible! If you have a 545 and a 46rh that's what we want to know. Very curious to see a weight diff or not. I know looking at them there is a big diff in size.

#12 ·
Just picking them up, I'll guess about one third lighter.

#16 ·
Sounds like you are already ahead of the game in gathering parts.

#18 ·
It's condition does really matter as you will want to tear it down and rebuild it with all the good pieces.

#19 ·
Well got the big scary cool spring out. I will say it again do not DO NOT try to remove this without a press you will be hurt or possibly killed!!!!! This thing took a decent amount of pressure coming up to around 1100psi on the pressure Guage! Sad part is that planetary is a 4 pin but is steel so someone has been in here before as that is normally aluminum on the 1993 year.

Attachments

#20 ·
Next thing was to determine the correct tooth angle for part ordering. I came up with this. Fold a piece of paper on a 45 then fold another twice giving me roughly 22 degrees. Add them up and that gives you 22 till perfect 90 meaning I have the 22degree planetary! So with that said you cannot get just a 5pin 15degree. I have to get a sun gear,planetary 5pin or 6,reaction anulus set. This normally on the 94 up set is 5 pin so you don't have to upgrade this part. I however don't want to have any issue with this build so I am going to the 15 degree set!

Attachments

#21 ·
So in total now I need a front planetary just the planetary and rear planetary set only due to 93 older trans. The rebuild kit and a converter not bad considering this will be over $1500 cheaper than a 545rfe trans cost. I so would have gone this route before if I would have known too late now no looking back now!

#22 ·
That sounds like you have a upgraded spring. I thought the 6 pinion was aluminum with the 5 pinion being the strongest.

#23 ·
5/6 pin are steel not aluminum. The spring is factory it's just a tough little sucker. They call an 800lb spring but nobody actually knows the pressure it is. When I oressed it and it went over 1k was kinda freaked out lol.

#24 ·
I can believe that. It amazes me how many common parts there are.

#25 ·
Ok the spring has a static installed pressure of 800psi so compressed it's likely around 1k like I saw. I am reading my book now and have found out why the planetary needs to be bigger. All the power sent thru the trans in both sections goes directly to the planetary gear set first before any clutches. So to get diff gears they apply clutches and that changes the sun gear or anulus gear drive directions. So from what I am reading it's converter-input shaft-planetary front thru it's designated gear-intermediate shaft-rear planetary-it's sun gear/anulus- output shaft. That big scary spring is applying constant pressure to the direct drive clutch in the tail that is used for 1/2/3/R gears. It then is released or squished down to engage the OD gear. When you down shift or turn Od off the big spring apples the direct clutch from natural need to expand.

There is also a time between 3-4 shift that the direct drum in the rear freewheels in a sense the the double roller in the tail is suggested to always be changed out on a rebuild for safety sake.

#26 ·
That is also the way I understand the power path. With the spring holding the direct clutch being released by hydraulic pressure this housing slides forward and compresses the overdrive clutch. As it release one there is a brief moment that neither clutch is engaged and that is when the sprag engages to keep the engine from flaring.

#28 · (Edited)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.