Hemi Truck Club banner

A518/46rh/46re/47/48re rebuild

140K views 2K replies 27 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
Ok all these trains are basically the same internally design wise. The 47/48 have a stronger planetary set in them but it is interchangeable into the 518/46 models. I have a 518 that I am tearing down now for a rebuild. The trains as of rite now needs a front planetary it is aluminum and only 4 pin design that's not going to work for me upgrading to steel 5 pin set. The rear planetary I cannot get to yet as there is what they call an 800lb spring that requires a press to get out. This is not a step that in anyway can be or should be done without a press it can kill you! Look at this thing

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
I was thinking you had 22 degree gears. Yep you would need the gear also. There's a lot that interchanges but subtle differences that screw things up. It's going to be a steep learning curve.

#32 ·
Man I just scored a nice deal! Found the rear OD planetary set complete even with bearings 6pin design super heavy duty steel set for $100 lol score! That normally lists for around $350 for the 6 pin alone steel wow I just licked out big time that's one less 1000hp part needed for later on! :thumb:

#33 ·
Nice :thumb:

#34 ·
Great, there's a lot of parts available for these transmissions.

#38 ·
Called PATC today and asked about these guys. Was told by a 25yr builder that as long as you don't run a trans brake they will hold 700hp for a good bit. He said he used them in 1500hp cars and never broke them. They don't normally fail either the center on the smaller one strips out. That's the input planetary and takes the most abuse anyway. Worst case he said you won't move and will need planetary set of it strips. 1994 up trans only need planetary 1993 older needs entire planetary set to convert to new 94+ design.

Attachments

#39 ·
Also asked about this guy here! Told it will take all the power you can throw at it as long as you get the bolt in design! This is pressed in and sometimes can strip the housing out so there is a redesign that gets bolted in for high HP.

Attachments

#40 ·
That is good to know about the sprag clutch. The picture you are showing of the planetary gear is a 4 pinion, are you saying it will take 700hp?

#41 ·
Yes that's the front set there is one more in the OD unit also. The OD unit has to be upgraded no matter what it breaks all the time he said! The front unit not on a trans brake will take a lot of power he has had a few cars over 1000hp hold fine. The issue is with the trans brake that's when they strip out. The 93 and older trans like mine to swap these out need a new front end unit that has 15 degree teeth which will cost around 1000$ he said. So what I am saying basically is use these on up to 93 till you have an issue otherwise get a 94+ trans that has the 15 degree teeth and you can simply swap the 4 pin for a 5/6 pin for $80 lol. I have basically the stepchild year where I need to upgrade more than normal to make certain things work. Not an issue just a little tid but I didn't know looking around for a trans!

#42 ·
Did you mention the trans was going into a 3g Ram? And if so, had he heard of one being done before? Of course this has become a standard install when retro fitting a hemi in the older vehicles.

#43 ·
Yes I mentioned that and he said he has done it personally on a friends kids truck. Said it was a dog with the factory 3.73 gears then they went to 4.10/4.56 he doesn't remember which and it flew. Said it took off faster and went plenty quick for a young kid. I told him what I was putting it behind and he was shocked especially when I told him a 545rfe was in there for almost 3yrs without melting lol. Walked him thru the proper 545 driving method and he had never assumed what I told him could be the issue. He did know that 4/5th were a nono for wot even on stock HP! His name is "S L" he knows his stuff worked down south for years at suncoast transmission or something I forgot where exactly. He told me to cal him anytime I need info.

#44 ·
That is excellent. Glad there is a contact who is knowledgeable and willing to talk to customers.

#45 ·
I invited Martin Saine to stop by and have a look at the thread. He's a top builder and innovator of the 727, A518-46rh/re.

#46 · (Edited)
Ok got my new OD planetary assembly. It is more than what was listed. Then sent me the entire rear OD unit assembly big deadly spring and all still assembled. Taking to work tomm to take it apart and inspect it. Can't believe they sent me this entire unit for $80 shipped great deal. Only thing I need to swap from old to new is the output shaft section with the governor shaft the unit I got is a 4x4 shaft! So I have the 4x4 output shaft now if need be or someone needs it.

#47 ·
Well done.. they probably didn't want to mess with the spring... lol

#48 ·
Ok well all is good with the OD unit!

Now onto the rear drum assembly. Some older versions of the a518 had a drum like this until 1994 year then they changed. My transmission is a 1993 early model. This is the rear drum I don't have! Notice the step or ridge where the rear band would run!

Attachments

#51 ·
To this big bad boy! This will allow the high HP since this band is what's holds for first gear! Bigger the better in this instance! This is the only part that does not come in the stage 3 700hp kit they are very cheap anyhow.

Attachments

#52 ·
That looks very stout. How wide is it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.