Hemi Truck Club banner

545rfe options, my head hurts from reading!

16K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
Howdy guys,
New member here, stumbled across this site while trolling for 545 info. I really want to slap a Procharger on my 09 1500 4x4 but the transmission question has stopped me dead for the moment. I've read until my eyes are about to bleed, so can anyone give me a straight answer- if I don't force downshifts under load then what is a reasonably priced reman that will hold up??

This Bull Ripper caught my eye, any experience with it?
https://www.bullripper.com/HEAVY-DUTY-45RFE-p/b51.htm

I sent Hemidup a message, is he actually building and selling trans now?

Please no suggestions of a swap, I'm not willing to Rube Goldberg my truck unless someone comes up for a sensible kit.

Anyhow thanks in advance and good to be here with some fellow Hemi lovers!

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Finding a trans for your needs isn't so much about which one at the right price as it is finding one that will indeed hold up period. Many of us choose to swap the 545 out to eliminate it's weaknesses.

#4 ·
I'm trying to work my way through the 60+ pages of that ATS thread now. I imagine it's gunna be way more money than I want to pay. I'm not going to run more than about 8lb, I'd rather burn through a 2k one and learn my lesson than spend 6k+ right off the bat. I'm Canadian too so our pesos aren't worth too many freedom dollars these days.

#5 ·
Depending on how stout your motor is, it most likely won't take you long to get a good feeling of what it is like to burn one up.

#8 ·
. I've read until my eyes are about to bleed, so can anyone give me a straight answer- if I don't force downshifts under load then what is a reasonably priced reman that will hold up??
The 545 will have to be built up as a performance package. No re-manufactured! No one currently has a new one that will be warrantied over 500 rwhp or with forced induction.

You find one of the performance trans, watch the down shifts and you will have a transmission for about year of fun.

I am breaking in Trans number four now. :banghead:

Rube Goldberg will be next shortly.

#12 · (Edited)
Most of us are currently running or have ran SharaDon Performance Stage lll. That would hold you by for a while if you watch you 45mph WOT downshift. That’s gonna cost you over 3,000.00, without even buying the converter. Add a good converter, cost to put it in, and 14qts of ATF+4 fluid, and you’re over $4,000.00. Again I believe the SharaDon will hold up to the 400-425hp you be putting down.

If you’re planning to go over 500hp, you will either need to buy the ATS (which hasn’t been proven yet, but looks promising) or the 46RH/A518, as Charged392 and RedTruck-VA have done. They both have stroker motors with boost, and those trannies have been proven to hold the power. These conversations can be done for under $3,000.00, for a mild build, and probably $6,000.00+ if you wanted one with all the billet parts and upgrades.

These are the 3 most promising options you have. Good luck.

#14 ·
Had fried od clutches in my Sharadon. All of the other clutches looked good. That was the main reason I wanted to try out the Smart Tech od hub and new Sonnex Line Pressure Booster. Seems to be ok so far. Several full street trim 12 second passes plus testing & tuning on it. No down shifting under wot. Only time will tell. But, I don't have the monster engine with boost that you have.:bow:

Smart-Tech® Overdrive Clutch Housing Kit - 72960-06K - Sonnax

Line Pressure Booster Kit - RFE-LB1 - Sonnax

#15 ·
From what I've read the TCM will just override the Sonnex booster. That is why I was leaning towards the Co-pilot. Stu and Mark, have they actually got that sorted out for the boosted Hemi application??

No way am I spending 3k on a Sheradon that will still burn up. I'm thinking that Monster kit (has new solenoid block, HD frictions, Transgo) and rebuild my stock one to hold me over until the ATS one gets the kinks worked out. I will take it easy and downshift before hammering or do WOT from standstill. Only gunna run the stock 7 or 8lb of boost until I get a second engine ready with new pistons (the ring gap seems to be the biggest weak point from my research).

Torque Converter- Thinking Edge. 3.55 gears, 2600 or 2800 stall probably?

#16 ·
If your thinking of boost the 46RH/A518 swap seems to be the way to go.

#18 ·
Actually doesn't surprise me at all...

#20 ·
Like I said before, no Rube Goldberg. I'm sticking with the 545 for better or worse, I wan't this to still be my daily and not have to shift it manually. I got the 64 Valiant to drive during the summer while I tinker with the Ram.

Torque converters- Edge. 3.55 gears, 2600 or 2800 stall, is this a good idea or no?

Going to rebuild the stock trans with the Monster kit and wait out for the final ATS one.Shop near home quoted me 1k to do the rebuild. Seems reasonable to drive in and out for that price.

Co-Pilot- CAN I USE THIS ON THE CURRENT SETUP I WILL HAVE WITH THE EDGE AND REBUILT STOCK??

I appreciate all the responses guys but no one is actually reading my questions and answering them since the first post lol. Has anyone had experience using the Monster kit or the PACT one?

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/fits-all-45rfe-545rfe-transmissions-45rfe-performance-combo-kit/

Monster Transmission 45RFE / 545RFE Mega Monster Transmission Complete Rebuild Kit: 2005-06

#21 ·
My personal experience. I had one trans rebuilt with the patc kit I believe, an smoked it within 6500 miles. Said **** this an put a junkyard 4.7 trans an converter in an am coming on 30k miles on it but I’m sure it’s days are numbered. When I had installed my first aftermarket converter in my orignal 545 it **** then bed about 3k miles later.

I always remember how nasty the truck felt when going wot while moving, be doing 20-25 an smash it an the kick down was just terrible with a patc 2600 or edge billet 3200. I’ve got just bolt ons, comp 260 but have 456s(thanks stu) an still have trans problems. There is nothing proven yet for the 545 as of now so if I killed another trans today I’d be shopping the junkyards for another 545 perferably out of a 4.7 lol.

Maybe Mark an Stu will quit there bickering an get those purple things in for some testing.

#22 ·
So you had problems with Edge street billet 3200? I've used one for just over 3 years (46rh) and it has worked good.

#26 ·
I have the K45 kit and ever since I boosted my truck ive had issues. I'm no expert though and haven't gotten a chance to have Keith check it out. I'll post what the issue is when I get it checked out.

Reactions: Lyon12
#29 ·
If you’re going to hit it from 25-35, pull the shift column down into 2nd. You’ll feel it down shift into 2nd prime, and then downshift into 2nd. Make sure it drops twice before hitting it. Then you’ll be fine until going into 4th. Let out before 4th to avoid trashing the clutches.

Reactions: YeahItsAHemi
#30 ·
Yep I’ve been living by that for awhile now. My trans is still holding strong behind my stroker. But I have zero intentions on keeping it, my 46re is sitting on the bench getting built now

#32 ·
My feeling about the 545 are WELL known. been trying to avoid this thread...it's that if you can't say anything nice thing.

I've been watching this 545 issue since the 45/545 was created.... 450 Crank hp seams to be the limit if you drive it like it's meant to be driven, 550hp seams to be the limit with all the internal tricks and driving tricks and 4.56 gears.

Reality is about 450/500 crank Hp the 545 starts to give up the ghost depending on driving habits , the harder you drive the lower the Hp needed to wipe out the OD/2nd prime clutch.

From the get go the trans was not designed to take more than 450hp, the 545 was stop gap piece . because DC needed more control over the transmission for EPA mandates, there was internal debate at DC over weather of not to put the Nag1 behind the hemi in the trucks...but optics won out, they thought that selling an American truck with a German Transmission was going to hurt sales.

My Nephews 09, pervious owner had swapped a very healthy (575Crank HP) 2014 SRT392 in to the truck, 1st 545 was toast by end of the week...not a fair comparison truck had 40k hard miles on it before the 392 went in..
2nd trans was an ATS , built box... 6 weeks later he pulled the smoked trans and rebuilt a core box with the Monsters kit, 4 weeks later the 392 and the smoked box came out and the org 5.7 and a 65RFE went in, there were PCM issues with the 65RFE,
my Nephew bought the truck and my younger niece (his twin) swapped the PCM over to a 2014.....truck now has a very large BGE build and a 727 behind it....the 65rfe didn't make it home from the dyno shop after we installed the big BGE(Hellcat) block build.(15 mile trip)

#33 ·
:iagree::iagree::iagree: 100%, 100%, 100%...

:hide::hide::hide::hide:

With that being said,

Clint(ATS) is taking a very serious look at the 545rfe trans and is putting all of his knowledge into it to try and come up with a much better 545 trans. Clint has identified many of the problems. Putting high performance diesel parts into the 545 trans with an updated Copilot (in my opinion) is a good start. And it could still fail yet again in testing. But, we wont know until we try. Believe the gen 3&4 545 is very lucky to have Clint and his team working to fix the problems and trying to build us a much more reliable and performing 545 trans.

We should be mad at Chrysler/Dodge/Ram for putting such a piece of S**T trans into these trucks...

#34 ·
It does seem they are now doing more than painting them purple. Transmission warranty's generally are useless when considering the replacement and shipping cost associated with using the warranty. And then everything is out of the owners control waiting at the mercy of the trans builder..

#36 ·
I drove my son inlaw's stock 04 ram yesterday. It just had a 3:92 rebuilt and a week later leaking oil from the pinion seal. Took it back and they kept the truck for three days to change the seal. It's warranty work, but they make it inconvenient as hell to use.. The truck lacks character, very smooth and quiet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.