545rfe Issue... - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Old 07-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #1

My 545rfe in my truck started doing this last week and it had me concerned.. when coming up to a stop the trans/torque converter would not relase and cause the vehicle to stall out. after talking to couple of transmission guys I pin pointed the issue to the torque converter clutch not relasing. the reason I am posting this is because the 2005-2006 Jeep Liberty CRD's had the same issue and Chrysler has a TSB out for that. So if anyone else has the same issue take your truck to the dealership and explain the problem and make sure to mention that you know the TSB for the Liberty and your truck is doing the same thing because the repair is a replacement of the torque converter, front pump and a reflash of the TCM/NGC. Hopefully this helps you guys if you have this issue..

2005 regular cab ram 1500 slt. AEM cai, Magnaflow custom bent catback exhaust,custom made y pipe to replace the resticive factory one, tinited windows, 07 charger hemi badges, Hughes master transmission kit (waiting in my tool box to be installed) and hopefully more to come..

2000 Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T club cab. intense blue metallic. stock block,Eagle forged crank, Eagle H beam rods, Keith Black Icon Forged pistions, Comp 512/510 lift cam, Mopar R/T 2.02 valve heads, Mopar 1.7 ratio rockers, Mopar/ Doug Thorley tri Y headers, Mopar single plane MPI intake manifold, T&B 55 mm Throttle Body, Vortech V1sc supercharger, Snow water methnol injection, Hughes Race clutchs and steels, TCI torque converter.

fixing up cars is like pringles once you fix one up you can never stop.

if you lift you lose... dont get in it if you cant stay in it.

schemigrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #2

My 545rfe in my truck started doing this last week and it had me concerned.. when coming up to a stop the trans/torque converter would not relase and cause the vehicle to stall out. after talking to couple of transmission guys I pin pointed the issue to the torque converter clutch not relasing. the reason I am posting this is because the 2005-2006 Jeep Liberty CRD's had the same issue and Chrysler has a TSB out for that. So if anyone else has the same issue take your truck to the dealership and explain the problem and make sure to mention that you know the TSB for the Liberty and your truck is doing the same thing because the repair is a replacement of the torque converter, front pump and a reflash of the TCM/NGC. Hopefully this helps you guys if you have this issue..
2005 regular cab ram 1500 slt. AEM cai, Magnaflow custom bent catback exhaust,custom made y pipe to replace the resticive factory one, tinited windows, 07 charger hemi badges, Hughes master transmission kit (waiting in my tool box to be installed) and hopefully more to come..

2000 Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T club cab. intense blue metallic. stock block,Eagle forged crank, Eagle H beam rods, Keith Black Icon Forged pistions, Comp 512/510 lift cam, Mopar R/T 2.02 valve heads, Mopar 1.7 ratio rockers, Mopar/ Doug Thorley tri Y headers, Mopar single plane MPI intake manifold, T&B 55 mm Throttle Body, Vortech V1sc supercharger, Snow water methnol injection, Hughes Race clutchs and steels, TCI torque converter.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #3

My truck did the same thing a few months back. Rolled to a stop in the parking lot and the truck surged forward. Hit the brakes to stop and it killed the engine. Luckily I was still under warranty. Did they fix the issue with the TSB or did you have to pay for repairs?
Papa Gluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

I am under warranty but since it is the same issue that the liberty had my service advisor called it in and they are going to cover it under the TSB.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Director Emeritus

Garage
Welcome aboard Papa Gluth - we're glad you joined us! Tell us about your truck when you get a chance...
2009 Ram 5.7 HEMI QC 4X4 Laramie - bone stock for now

MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:52 AM   #6
Board of Directors (Jay)

2003, Std. SWB, SLT, 20", 4:56 gear, AFE CAI, Superchip, 6.1 cam, 6.1 heads, Manley springs, retainers, pushrods, Edelbrock Hedders, 195 T-Stat, 8.2 Taylor, AEM, Power Wire, ARC-1,Amsoil Everything, and more. Veni Vidi Vici

HTC.com Titan Killer Club

Member # 17

Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #7

Garage
another ? for superjay; my 04 4x4, hemi with the 545re tranny has had a problem for over 2 year's that the dealer tells me is my paranoria. Below 50deg it takes ~3 miles for the rpm to drop from 1900 to 1400/ below 70 deg it takes ~2 miles/ 80+deg it takes ~ 1 mile. rpm's @ 50mph. I understand the cold weather higher rpm to warm up the tranny, but why when the ambient temp is 60+. All other shifts are normal so it seems to me this has to be related to a sensor telling the PCM that it is colder than it actually is. It didn't start doing this until I had the 30k service done about 3 years ago, and has gotten worse to the current point. I had the 60k service done last year when I was told I should just live with it, it is normal. If you, or anyone on the site knows which sensor, or is this really typical of 04 trannys, I would really appreciate the input. Thanks
2013 Sport, Quad, 4x4; hemi, LS rear, Xtang full tilt; Extenda bed; EZ-down; Mopar SS step rails

(traded)04 Hemi; Qcab; 4x4; 3.92LS; Borla cat back; Roadmaster active rear suspension; XTang full tilt tonneau; Westin black on SS steps; Line-X under rail; full tint; modified front tow hooks;
howln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
Board of Directors (Jay)

Has the thermostat been changed in it?
2003, Std. SWB, SLT, 20", 4:56 gear, AFE CAI, Superchip, 6.1 cam, 6.1 heads, Manley springs, retainers, pushrods, Edelbrock Hedders, 195 T-Stat, 8.2 Taylor, AEM, Power Wire, ARC-1,Amsoil Everything, and more. Veni Vidi Vici

Member # 17

Old 08-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #9

Garage
Jay; no, still running the stock thermo. Initial engagement and all shift points are as crisp as they ever were, the only issue is this initial warnup and it only affects the final shift. Thanks for giving it some thought.
By the way, very nice mods to your truck; jealous ;o)
2013 Sport, Quad, 4x4; hemi, LS rear, Xtang full tilt; Extenda bed; EZ-down; Mopar SS step rails

(traded)04 Hemi; Qcab; 4x4; 3.92LS; Borla cat back; Roadmaster active rear suspension; XTang full tilt tonneau; Westin black on SS steps; Line-X under rail; full tint; modified front tow hooks;
howln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Board of Directors (Jay)

Does it appear to warm up slower now, versus when it was new?

Member # 17