Hemi Truck Club banner

545rfe alternative

16K views 57 replies 14 participants last post by  kcd1369 
#1 ·
Not to beat a dead horse but what?s everybody running for alternatives to the 545rfe?s running over 600 whp?3rd Trans just went south on me. Just read the t56 swap on here, sounds fun. Looking for a daily driver not 1/4.

#3 ·
Awesome! I?ll read up on this tonight. 77 pages is going to take me a minute though. You can probably guess my next question. Is there someone on this forum that sells or rebuilds Transmissions as a full kit with all the parts needed to do the swap? I should probably start reading first then ask questions. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.

#5 ·
Bingo on the clutches.

#6 ·
Redtruck-va did it 2 years ago nobody paid it any mind until I did it early this year and now everyone is jumping on the band wagon. There is no kit per say for our third gens. You can buy a prebuilt trans from somewhere or rebuild it yourself. Sourcing parts is the easy part all the things needed the way I did it were from PATC. I built mine with the 700hp kit and all stock planetary sets (the weak ones lol) and it's holding so far so good for a little over 10k now with tons of abuse. Oh oh oh forgot to mention you can do a rolling 45mph wot run with it too and not burn the trans up!!!!!

#7 ·
Like Keith said I installed mine over two and half years ago and beat on it daily. I think I have close to 30k on it now. Dropped the pan a couple weeks ago to install a manual vb and the pan and magnet were clean. Its the way to go in my book.

#8 ·
Auto's are for girls, drive a manual :D:D:D

#10 ·
and four doors are for cabs.....:coolsmiley:

#13 ·
Forgot to mention, another avenue and I won't go the non OD route , is the TKO 500/600s there are only a 5 speed(4+1), but plenty strong. The other option in the manual route is the stock 6 speed from the 05-08 3.7/4.7 4x2 trucks, the Getrag 238 , trans it's 5+1 as opposed to the T-56 being a 4+2. The 238 will take up to 450FTlbs and you can use stock Driveshaft, Bell housing, Clutch set up.
Keep in mind that the G3 Hemis is the same Bell pattern as the 3.7/3.9/273/4.7/318/340/360/Magnum engines.

Reactions: Lee De Tro
#15 ·
Love all the info here. Luckily I have other vehicles I can drive while I figure out what to do with the Bee. I do know I will be buying a unit already built. The whole rebuilding transmissions thing scares me.�� but will definitely be spending some quality time with my garage floor doing the swap. Anyway, I read the whole Belgiquebastard T56 thread and got to page 30 on Charged392s (will finish today) Both seem to have their pros and cons. I know I’m going to have some questions either way.

#38 ·
Love all the info here. Luckily I have other vehicles I can drive while I figure out what to do with the Bee. I do know I will be buying a unit already built. The whole rebuilding transmissions thing scares me.�� but will definitely be spending some quality time with my garage floor doing the swap. Anyway, I read the whole Belgiquebastard T56 thread and got to page 30 on Charged392s (will finish today) Both seem to have their pros and cons. I know I’m going to have some questions either way.

Wanted to check up, How's the truck Running ? you did go T56 if I remember ?

#16 ·
Anybody got the NAG1 to fit behind the 3rd gen?

#18 ·
There has been some retro rods that have used the 3g engine/ nag1. It was also said Arrington did a truck at a cost greater than $12k. I havent seen anyone seriously interested in doing the swap.

#19 ·
Yep, that's a little out of my price range

#21 ·
#23 ·
#24 ·
Rowing gears, sounds good. What do people think of a high performance truck smoking tires?

#25 ·
Our version of Hillary snowflakes hate it, our version of MAGA people love it :).

#26 ·
I imagine your truck finds it hard to fly under the radar... are there any other full size modified trucks in your area?

#27 ·
Dodge trucks are quite popular due to fiscal reasons here, they are not a rare sight. Modded trucks are few and far between, not counting the muffler delete LED bar crowd :D

#28 ·
Like the video but my question is did you make it to work on time?

#29 ·
So is there a way to keep the stock Column shifter on the 46rh swap or does it have to be converted to floor shifter. Then on a t56 swap there is no more TM correct? Because the PCM is flashed to manual. What about CELs on both swaps (I can?t stand riding around with a CEL)

#30 ·
Only CEL's i have is from the evap delete and 02 sensor one, none concerning the transmission.

#31 ·
The 46rh will throw a light unless manual flashed on the pcm same with the t56 setup. The column can be made to work I'm sure of that it will just take a little design change the the 46rh shift lever to have a snap type peg like 545rfe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.