Hemi Truck Club banner

545rfe alternative

16K views 57 replies 14 participants last post by  kcd1369 
#1 ·
Not to beat a dead horse but what?s everybody running for alternatives to the 545rfe?s running over 600 whp?3rd Trans just went south on me. Just read the t56 swap on here, sounds fun. Looking for a daily driver not 1/4.

#34 ·
Welcome to HTC. :welcome-0005a:

If your running the stock Hemi engine like a stock Hemi engine. The 545 will be fine. When it comes time to rebuild the 545rfe trans, there are up grades that can be installed. Or, just buy a 545rfe with the upgrades in it already. Look up Sonnex for the updated parts to make the 545 a little stronger and reliable for a normal daily driving stock Hemi truck. :thumb:

PS. Do not buy the ATS trans with the Copilot. It has been showing to be a waste of allot money and time...

#39 ·
If you plan on driving your truck on the road and you have a state inspection I would check first to see what kind of hurdles you're going to have to jump to keep your truck on the road.....

#41 ·
Yep! Trucks at the tuners right now trying to turn off a couple transmission inputs. For some reason it still thinks its an auto and throwing a Fluid pressure CEL.

#42 ·
I'm using a stock pcm, and a manual valve body trans swap, I get one code that pops up. It doesn't bother me enough to spend $450 or so to get a flash done. Keith also had to change something in the tune to stop it from going into limp mode

#47 ·
My problem is that i DID pay the $450 to have mine reflashed and still throwing Auto trans codes. Talked with B&G today and they say there's no way around it> :confused:

#43 ·
Check with Max to see if he still has his 05 manual pcm. It's what I use without issues.

#45 ·
Just this morning I found a 2005 manual trans PCM from a wrecker in Edmonton, Alberta for $150. I bought it instantly and might just frame it on a wall in my shop for the time being.

#46 ·
Well done! Use both hands when you carry that sucker...

#50 ·
Always buy extra 10mm sockets. I have three alone in 3/8 drive simply because I lost one, bought another, and then found the lost one later on.

I had been loosely watching for that PCM for some time now just because I have a 518 sitting on my bench. My 545 is holding for the moment but once it lets go again it will be getting done.

#51 ·
So got Max's 05 manual PCM on the way. Sucks I will have to pay to have the truck retuned and flashed with my Vin again!:facepalm: Wish B&G would have disclosed that their would be CEL's after the reflash. $450 for the reflash and an $800 dyno tune down the drain. :eek::cry2:

#52 ·
I wish you had seen my build thread earlier, it would have saved you lots of money and headaches. I went thru the same thing, bought an HPTuner which did not work, Diablo doesn't work, and flashing the auto PCM does not work. If you live in a state that requires inspection you will need a manual PCM there is no way around it (as of today, maybe someone will figure something out later on)
BeeFast, I will PM you later with a tracking number

#53 ·
Looks like I spoke to soon. The PCM arrived today in it's the wrong part number. I called them and confirmed the VIN as an automatic. I'm sending it back and they are crediting me as it was the only one they had. I should have confirmed it first I suppose instead of trusting their knowledge. Figures...

#55 ·
Yep, I've had several folks tell me they had one and were wrong. The manual is a rare sucker. A guick initial ID is that a manual pcm c4 is a blank.

#56 ·
Ok now it sounds like I have one out of Manitoba. At least this time I confirmed the part number, which is certainly the right number. Anyways I won't be getting to worked up until it is in my hands and correct.

#57 ·
Saves a lot of disappointment..

#58 ·
:facepalm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.