Hemi Truck Club banner

4x4 trans pan?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  69rrbruce 
#1 ·
I recently read a post where it was stated the 4x4 trans filter were used in deep aftermarket pans. Wouldn't that mean the 4x4 pan is deeper than a 2x pan? Is there any problems with a 2x using a 4x4 pan?

#2 ·
I recently read a post where it was stated the 4x4 trans filter were used in deep aftermarket pans. Wouldn't that mean the 4x4 pan is deeper than a 2x pan? Is there any problems with a 2x using a 4x4 pan?

#4 ·
Thanks, and the list continues to grow...

#6 ·
Originally posted by ATXHEMI:
So a 4x4 tranny pan and 4x4 tranny filter swap. What benefit to this is there? I guess with our trnnys any benefit is a plus.
I like the idea of a large capacity pan with a proper fitting filter to help with cooling. But I don't like aluminum pans and differential covers with hit or miss filters. Steel pans if damaged can usually get you home. A shattered aluminum pan leaves you where you are at.

#8 ·
Originally posted by ATXHEMI:
How well does the 2500HD trans cooler help with that?
I don't tow much, but I do use a 2800 TC and have no issues in town or back to back racing. Usual readings 140-165 never much above that. So I'll say works good. Read off of a AeroForce Intercepter gauge.

#9 ·
Anyone have the part numbers for 4x4 pan and filters?

#10 ·
These guys have the parts but they won't show the part numbers. Cheap. I just used Wix filters.

That's a fine ride, where you at?

Reactions: 69rrbruce
#12 ·
Don't worry, a larger pan will do next to zero cooling compared to the actual oil cooler. More oil equals a few minutes longer to warm up but doesn't change the final temperature. The deeper 4wd pan is for being at steep angles without starving the trans oil pump, the larger cooler is for HD use. I switched to a giant finned aluminum pan from the small 2wd one and it makes no difference other than looking better and adding 20lbs to the truck.

#13 ·
I just replaced the VB and filters. It took 7 qts. How many more qts does the 4x4 pan take? I may have to re-think this mod. I don't have a temperature problem and certainly don't want to add unnecessary wieght. Which reminds me I still have a few odds and ends that I can remove under the truck.

#14 ·
Service manual shows 13 pints vs. 11 pints for just filter service fill. I just did this change last weekend and I put in 7 quarts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.