Hemi Truck Club banner

4.56 swap

10K views 82 replies 15 participants last post by  HEMI SPORT 
#1 ·
Well my engine isn't even broken in yet and I'm already planning my next mod. I've had a lot of people suggest 4.56 gears so I'm planning on doing it. I have two things holding me back, installation and highway mileage. I know, someone is gonna say "if you're worried about mileage buy a Prius" and that's very true. I just tend to drive a good bit of highway for my work, I'm a union electrical apprentice so I truly never know where my next job will be located. Also I don't like paying a shop an arm and a leg to install things I can handle. But I would also not enjoy screwing up my rear end. So my plan is buying a used rear end off a parts truck and changing the gears on the bench. I'll put that rear end in to see how I like the gears, and how bad my mileage gets. If I ultimately decide it's not worth it for me (which probably won't happen) or if I mess up terribly, I will still have my intact 3.92 rear end to put back in. If I end up loving it, I'll order another set of gears for my front end and tackle that. I plan on doing the rear first to be sure I like it, then the front. I did some calling around on a bunch of Craigslist posts and saw prices from $500-$800, but finally found a guy who said $100. So if it works out this weekend I'll try to drive out and pull it out. So any input? Will going from 3.92 to 4.56 be that big of a difference?

#83 ·
Installed! No issues, driveline bolted up. I swapped the pinion yoke to Yukon Gear & Axle YY D60-1330-29S. Replaced both u-joints with fittings.
I do have the groundforce rear lowering shackles.
Rear SRT-10 Dana S60, NEW: carrier, bearings, posi, bearings, yoke, brake lines hard and soft, backing plates, hardware, rotors, pads, rebuilt SRT-10 calipers.

Ended up rebuilding the front suspension(new hubs w/sensors with new bolts, Mopar upper control arms w/new locking nuts, moog lower ball joints, moog tie-rod ends, rebuilt SRT-10 calipers, SRT-10 QC steering knuckles,

Powerstop Rotors and pads from Duane at 3rd Strike performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.