Hemi Truck Club banner

4.56 gears install

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
Alright y'all insee you help. I need a list of the special tools I'll need and links to where I can buy them. I called my local place and they quoted me $500 just for the install

#2 ·
Gear install isn't that difficult, but to do it right without experience makes it very tedious. You'll need to make or buy a bearing adjustment tool. Dial indicator with mag base. A flange plate to bolt to the pinion flange to torque the pinion nut. A 0-50 in/lb beam torque wrench. A 250 ft/lb torque wrench. A press and clam shell to remove pinion bearing. And the assorted tools to take it all apart. Small amout of machinist bluing. Master install kit. Anyway that's the basic stuff.
https://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-6602.aspx

#4 ·
Same..

Reactions: ric3xrt
#6 ·
A crush collar should be included in the master install kit.Having a spare is always good. My last gear change I used a qt of break in lub along with 2 qts of non synthetic lub for initial break-in. If you have a pinion set tool great, but I don't. But have found often the old shims will be very close to what you need. I also don't have a dummy pinion bearing for setup. So pressed on the bearing with the old shims. It came out hard on the heel tooth pattern wise. Pulled it all apart and added .010" shim for a total of .040" shim. Becareful of using the really thin shims as they can become damaged by hard launches. Meaning , I prefer two .020" shims to a stack of. 005" shims. Be prepared to pull the pinion bearing off several times to get the tooth pattern right. Might consider having a dummy bearing for the pinion setup. When the pattern is centered. Put the pinion together one final time using the crush collar. I had to use a impact gun to crush the collar 225 ft/lbs with 35 in/lbs torsional load. When sitting the pinion the final time I use a large drift punch and 1-1/2 pound hammer and hit the pinion on both ends several times then recheck my torsional load. If good then install the carrier. I tq the caps to 10 ft/lbs then adjust the drv side bearing to where the ring just touches the pinion. Then adjust the pass side bearing to 35 ft/lbs and measure the backlash .005-.010" with a target of .006". If good then check tooth pattern looking for a oblong pattern in the center of the tooth. Spinning the pinion should be smooth with no high spots. If good tq the caps to 100ft/lbs. Then tq the adjusters to 75 ft/lbs each and lock. Anyway, that is how I do mine. The set I just installed were used and ran cool from the begining. I have less than 200 miles on them and only read 135 degrees after making a 10 mile loop. They are totally quiet.

Reactions: ric3xrt
#7 ·
In case something goes wrong and you accidentally trash a good bearing like I did, most local auto parts stores do price matching. Normally summit racing has way better prices so if your local store has them in stock you could get them cheaper if needed

#8 ·
Call summit and ask if they have a dummy pinion bearing for doing setups. You can also hone out a old bearing making one that can be removed by light tapping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.