Hemi Truck Club banner

3G rear axle swap(s)

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 · (Edited)
in response to a post I made in the Thread "Phil's truck"
Greg pointed out I should start a thread on possible Axle swaps. here's some of the info I've been coming up with. I've been concentrating on newer rears because of the use of a tone ring in the housing.
3G ram rear track width is 67.4
97-04 Dakota/97-03 Durango more of a "all out racers" swap
The Dak used drum on the rear all the way to the end of production, it's a Corporate 9.25 axle. so is the Durango,97-03 , rear track on this rear is 61.5 this rear is about 6 inches narrower then the 3g Ram , don't let the 6 lug fact scare you away, if your going to go all out, your going to want to change over to 5 lug anyway, and you can get aftermarket axles for this rear in 5 lug.
05-09 Dakota rear track is 62.9 , 5x 5.5 pattern , rear Drum.
04-09 Durango rear track is 64.4 it's 3 inch difference , "not 4 I miss wrote in my Phill's truck post".
The 04-09 Durango were the 1st Durangos to have rear Disk the disk and caliper are the same part numbers as the 3g rams ,and it's a 5X5.5 bolt pattern same as the 3G Ram.
In my opinion I think this would be a great "weekend racer's" swap, it uses the same brakes as the 3G ram and it's factory set up for a link type suspension
when the Durango changed to the newer body (2011) it went to 64.1 (I wrote to Greg that it got wider, ,my bad).

Here's a pretty good link on some of the"factory" options that are out there.
https://www.bigblockmopar.nl/tech/mopar-rearaxle-dimensions/

Side note I had a 71 E body Dana under my 2000 dak....that didn't go over well with some E body guys hunting for Dana's

See less See more
#2 ·
2nd Gen Rams(94-01ish) their rear track Width is 66.9...not worth the effort unless your going to cut it down.

#3 ·
Great info. This could save a ton of money by not needing custom wheels to tuck the tires under the fenders.

#4 ·
Here's a 9.25 for a 2000-02 Durango (97-02 Dak&Durngo) 1st pic is the rear
2nd pic is a drum backing plate from a 1970 w-100,8 3/4 rear, 3rd is from a 1983 d100 with a 8.25 rear.........point is a rear disk swap kit for an 8 3/4 rear will work on this era 9.25 rears

Attachments

#6 ·
Been brain storming combinations and need you guys to tell me why this won't work. 9.25 axle narrowed 8 inches. Wilwood low profile brake kit 140-11388 (blank) rotor to fit 14" rims. Of course Wilwood doesn't make a kit for the 9.25 axle. My thought is to use a ford 9" axle ends (big bearing). Which Wilwood does make a kit for (140-11388). It'll have custom ford 9" bearings with dodge 31 spline /C-clip ends to fit the dodge dtt. Seems complicated but is simple considering the axles are custom to fit the narrowed 9.25 axle anyway. Thoughts anyone?
I put this here, as we are talking axle combinations and what works or doesn't. I believe there will be a lot more custom chopped axles in the future.

Reactions: ric3xrt
#7 ·
#8 ·
Correct me if I got this wrong, the big ford axle housing ends will fit without problems. This will require the use of ford press on bearings Timkens BR20. And when using this bearing setup I can now also use Moser c-clip eliminators.

#9 ·
you won't need the C-Clip eliminators, essentially what your doing is converting the 9.25 axle over to a 8.75/Dana type axle with bearings pressed on to the axle

Reactions: Redtruck-VA
#10 ·
Haha it finally dawned on me what I was doing. I thought if I kept my mouth shut maybe no one would catch it.
Thanks Ric....

Reactions: SUPER BEE
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.