205F vs 205FD diffs? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Old 03-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #1

205F vs 205FD diffs?

I am curious as to what the difference is between these two differentials? I replaced both axle seals, CV axles, upper and lower control arms, sway bar links, sway bar bushing's, and tie rod ends this week on the truck. Ran into the issue of the right front axle seal being different due to my differential being the FD version Actually had to end up just cleaning it up and putting it back in. Good thing was it was in pretty good shape overall and the rubber was still soft. But nowhere local had the one for this specific differential. Just curious as to what is the difference? Also when pulling the axle on the passenger side a small snap ring came out with it. Everything went back together fine without it but was curious if this was just a snap ring for assembly purposes or what? Kind of like the Honda rotors have the retainer screws but aren't necessary.

JustHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 03:00 AM   #2
Board of Directors-Bill

Garage

Interesting question. I don't know.
Just [email protected]

arocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #3

My guess is it has something to do with the electronic four-wheel-drive system because on the outside of the differential is where the electronics are. There is also a four bolt plate that exposes something but I didn't pull it off. I'm guessing it will expose the splines where the axle goes in. But kind of odd they don't have that seal in stock locally since that's a very common set up.
Future Dodge Challenger owner...if I am rich or gas prices drop....
Many mods to come....hehehe.

JustHemi is offline   Reply With Quote