1/2 ton Hemi / manual trans? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Old 03-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #1

1/2 ton Hemi / manual trans?

Excuse my ignorance. I actually attempted to search the forum regarding this question and wasn't able to find what I needed.

The wife and I just bought our Hemi Ram QC 4x4 last friday.

Anyhow, I love the truck so much I'm thinking of buying ANOTHER one. This time a regular cab 4x4 and want to make it more of a sport truck than the monster we already purchased.

Soooo, I noticed at least two of you have the 3/4 ton truck with a manual tranny. I was wondering what transmission is that exactly? How envolved do you believe it to swap into a 1/2 ton. Or better yet what's the chances of installing the SRT10 tranny?

I'm assuming the PCM is heavily tied into the auto, however I have a friend who's an engineer at Roush (whom was envolved in the tuning of the Hemi engine). So I'm hoping they may know a way I can sever the auto and install a manual.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions.

Thanks,
J

MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*

Monster J, welcome to the club sir. Wow, you have a damn good quetion there. I hope we can answer that question seucessuflly for you. Can you wait to special order your truck with the manaul tranny?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:39 PM   #3
Director Emeritus

Garage

Welcome to HTC.com MonsterJ - we're glad you found us. Congrats on your new Hemi Ram
If you're looking to get a sport truck, why not go with a 2500 (manual) 2WD... this way you can lower it a tad in the rear, or go all out with a 2/4 suspension drop.
I don't have all your answers, but I can tell you that the SRT-10 tranny will not mate up to the Hemi. The manual tranny of the 2500 could fit (at least to the Hemi)... lots of modifications if you're going to stick it in a 1500 auto. But hey - if you have friends at Roush, anything is possible
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #4

DIGH, I dont think you can even special order a 1/2 ton with a manual. I already looked into that when I was buying my truck. The 5 speed automatic is the only tranny available. Thats what I was told at the dealership.
proudhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MonsterJ:
Soooo, I noticed at least two of you have the 3/4 ton truck with a manual tranny. I was wondering what transmission is that exactly? How envolved do you believe it to swap into a 1/2 ton. I'm assuming the PCM is heavily tied into the auto, however I have a friend who's an engineer at Roush (whom was envolved in the tuning of the Hemi engine). So I'm hoping they may know a way I can sever the auto and install a manual.
Ideas, thoughts, suggestions.
Monster welcome to the club
Currently you can only order the 6 or 5 speed manual for the following ..The 2500 4X4 or 4x2 and for the 4.7 and 3.7 1500.. Your guess is as good as mine as to why they dont offer it for the 1500 Hemi..could be in the 06 who knows..as for your Engineer friend he could tell you more about what would be involved in a swap out.. there would be quite a bit to change but with his experience you may just pull it off ..if i wanted it now I would go with MrHemi advice with the 4x2 2500 or see what comes up for 06.
I can tell you this though. Hemi's are Badass with a capitol B with manual trans. I wouldnt trade mine for anything .. well except to get a 6.1 lol
5SpeedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:35 PM   #6
O.H.

He probably wants the short box look of the 1500. If he bought the 2500 4X2, it only comes in a long box with the regular cab. He'd lose the "sport truck" look with the long box, it'd be a work truck looking vehicle.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
Director Emeritus

Garage

I was in the same boat about 2.5 years ago... wanted the manual AND a 1500.
Perhaps the '06 models might come through for you buddy. I know a guy who works at the St Louis plant - let me ask him if he has heard anything!
Old 03-30-2005, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Officer Hemi:
He probably wants the short box look of the 1500. If he bought the 2500 4X2, it only comes in a long box with the regular cab. He'd lose the "sport truck" look with the long box, it'd be a work truck looking vehicle.
No you can get a 4x2 2500 QC/SB Hemi I just configured this one..my neibour down the street has one in a deisel
5SpeedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:00 PM   #9
Director Emeritus

Garage

Oh - now THAT is cool...
Old 03-30-2005, 07:10 PM   #10

Welcome to the HTC, MonsterJ!
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote