Hemi Truck Club banner

09 challenger rt 6 speed in a ram

5K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Redtruck-VA 
#1 ·
I want to know if the bellhousing would bolt up. I'm about 95 percent sure that it will. If it did I would end up getting rid of the stock shifter and supports and replace it with this

https://core-shifters.com/collectio...0-from-challenger-r-t-srt8-6-speed-trans-swap

. As for the tail I don't know what could be done. Perhapse a custom yoke? Also asumibg that the pilot bearing would be the same as well as all the other clutch and throw out all the stuff. I was thinking of using the challenger master cylinder as well. As for the clutch pedal who knows. Let me know what you think as I've only don't about one nights worth of research.

#2 ·
Bell housing bolts up, but puts the starter on the Passenger side, the only issue with that is all the headers for the ram are designed with a driver side starter, so you'll have some modification to do.
Pilot bearing is the same.
Clutch pedal (your truck is an 03/04?) Pedal from any manual truck will work (02-08) (09-17).
Challenger cultch salve cylinder should work, I'll have to get back to you on that, give me a day or two

#5 ·
I've been sort of looking into a similar swap. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of dumping the auto trans all together and going with a manual in the truck. I don't drag race and have always preferred to row the gears. I just need to make sure I can still use the truck as a truck and be able to haul bikes to and from the track and maybe tow on the very odd occasion.

#6 ·
Avoid 5/6th gear with a heavy load and you'll be fine.

Quick Time is the way to go.

#7 ·
The tr6060 is a stronger trans than the T56, but the swap is easier with the viper T56

#10 ·
Viper SRT10 ram T56 is stronger than a 'normal' T56, larger mainshaft, bigger yoke bore,... If you go the T56 route make sure you have one of the truck ones, not one of the car ones!

I'm not up to speed on the TR6060, but would imagine there are lot's of different configurations like the original T56 had? Weaker and stronger types?

#8 ·
Only issue with the QuickTime RM 8074 (which keeps the starter on the drivers side) you have to use the truck starter and flywheel which kinda limits you to performance clutch selectionis there’s not much out there. The stock Challenger bell works good but you can’t fit a twin disk in it. Most of the swaps I’ve seen use the Quicktime Rm 8081. Header clearance has been a issue for some. My long tubes barely sqeeked by and had to wrap my starter. Didn’t like the 2500 pedals as they are big bulky plastic. Ram SRT10 pedals are metal and look a lot better but will cost you more if you can find them. Then they all have wore out pedal pads which are discontinued but found out you can squeeze the Challenger SRT8 pads on them. Agree with Ric also that the Ram T56 is an easier install. I think the hardest part for me was figuring out the hydraulics and the wiring but there’s good write ups on here to walk you through it.

#9 ·
Do it, best mod for a street driven only truck can have IMO :D, been running mine a couple of years now and still love it!!

If your truck is an 03, get rid of the 03 pcm though, have had nothing but trouble caus of it, have an 05 pcm ready to swap but haven't had the time yet.

#11 ·
the 6060 is latest version of the last Viper box but with a flange set up, it's also universal now as opposed a version for this and that. The 06 T-56s , you have version, for the GTO, The ROUSH Mustangs the Viper, the SRT 210 truck, Aston Martin Corvette .....it was just F--king nuts . Rebuilt my 1st 6070 7 speed this week....too many parts

#12 ·
Good info!!

What's a 6070? a typo or a newer model trans? :)

#13 ·
It's the 7 speed version of the 6060......3lbs of crap hanging on the out side of a 4 lbs box. (lol) ,
they just added a 3rd over drive and lengthened the tail to fit the extra gear . this 6070 was adapted to a 2017 Vett he's a flying Mile junkie @ full boost it's tearing up the input bearing ,to much deflection in the case, he needs to go to a Monster auto or liberty Gear LSC 5100.
http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TREMEC_TR-6070_1017.pdf

#14 ·
Watched a documentary on "Big Red" running flying mile truing to break it's 223mph record. It was eating custom built 4spds. Finally installed a custom automatic that could hold the power. If I remember it couldn't backup a new pb. Flying mile IMO is very cool...

#16 ·
the only real problem is the passenger side starter , , it'll work just need to be creative with wiring, and depending on headers might need to make some clearance "dings" ....and I know you can do it......
Belgiquebasterd used the QuickTime Bellhousing RM-8081 with his t-56 swap , which puts the starter on the Passenger side. .....are you going to use the twin clutch also ? https://www.hemitruckclub.com/forums/f120/tremec-t56-trans-14249.html

For the Gtx I used Quicktime Rm 8074 , it puts the starter on the driverside , all of Quicktime's G3 specific bellhousings now use p-side starters.

I'm also using a NexGen clutch from Black Magic ...looking forward to the swap, the more 3g Ram guys who do this the more the info gets out there....just have tosolve the ECU C.E.L issues

Reactions: Redtruck-VA
#19 ·
So I'm almost done with the swap and I've taken a ton of pictures and will do a formal write up later. I've been having trouble trying to start the truck. I plugged in the solenoid pack from the auto trans and it fired up right away. I'm thinking that the truck doesn't know if I'm in neutral or not. Anyone know which pin and what I need to do with it?

Thank for all the help!!!

#22 ·
Sounds Good.

#24 ·
Things get a lot easier when the information is shared..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.