Hemi Truck Club banner

05 Ram with Limited slip issues please help

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  mikespeed6 
#1 ·
about 8 months ago my pinion bearing went out. The dealer replaced the pinion bearing and ring gear. Shortly after when I turn I get a click noise with some hopping. Also hear this when I go in reverse and more when I turn the wheel. It started out like the almost forgot the limited slip additive. I did check the work order and they do have the additive on the invoice. I have the truck in the shop right now (3rd time to get to the bottom of this)and they do not want to pull the rear diff cover until they reproduce the noise even when I have showed them this below video. I just called them and told them to Pull the diff cover and check. Have not heard back if they will or not. Any ideas? Also this does not happen all the time. its worse at slow speeds and turning. I have checked all the u joints and everything look fine. I even redid all the brakes in case it was hanging up. The axle is a 3.92 if that helps. its a 4x4 with hemi.

2005 Dodge ram Rear axle Noise - YouTube

#2 ·
Why do you think they cannot duplicate the noise? Does it change with temperature,ie the rearend is warmed up when it get's to the dealer. That could be a broken clutch clip catching.

#3 ·
Something. In there is either way to tight or something's is binding rolling straight back the limited slip isn't even active or functioning there's an issue and I would hate to see what happens if it lets go while your driving

#4 ·
I'm afraid what we are hearing is the broken clip cutting the housing.

#5 ·
I was able to reproduce the noise at the dealer yesterday. It happens when I turn the wheel and reverse. The tech was under my truck and said its coming from my brakes. What I have a hard time believing is if this is my parking brake why does it happen only when I turn? Temp seems to not be related however after sitting for a few min (even after Driving for 30+ minutes) it will happen again. This has happened during the winter -20 F months and now in the summer up to 90 F degrees.

#7 ·
I agree, x2

#9 ·
Reading back through this I don't see where anyone has pulled the cover and actually inspected the differential. IMO, that should have been done early in trouble shooting this problem.

#10 ·
Yep its the diff and it sounds hollow because of the noise is radiating up the driveshaft. They should just pull the cover and do a visual inspection. If they did the repairs you say then they had to take the brakes off for those repairs and should be on them anyways. You might have to get ugly with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.