'03 shift kit - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > Technical Forums > Drivetrain, Differential and Transmission

Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #1

'03 shift kit

Look at this kit for my rig, from what I hear this is the one to go with? 5 speed with manual overdrive is what I'm packin. What kinda deal is it to install?

http://3rdstrike.biz/cart/index.php?...roducts_id=717

noodelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #2

'03 shift kit

Oh yea, what are the shifts like, I'll be runnin SC 3715 with 500RPM increase. Descently hard or what?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #3

'03 shift kit

well its a hell of a lot better than stock thats for damn sure lol, one of the best cheap mods around if you dont want to shell out for a SHaradon Performance Valvebody, i have the TransGo, but still not what i was looking for, the kit changes feel by stiffening the Accumulator springs, so it allows for a faster apply to the clutches due to less flow being used by the accumulators. At first its going to be very harsh from 2-3 and i reccomend resetting the TCM and PCM, just disconnect the battery for about 30minutes the TCM has to learn the new shift schedules. If you have the superchips and you run it on the 93 setting go ahead and wire in the resistor that the kit comes with to boost pressure, because on the 93 setting superchips actually lowers trans pressure, but dont combine the resistor with any of the other settings. After about 100 miles are put on it the 1-2 will be pretty solid, and 2-3 will give you a little pop and 3-4 is just almost the same and also 2nd prime when you kickdown and it shifts from 2nd prime to 3rd will be the most noticeable jerks your neck lol If you want neck snapping fast *** shifts, do what i did and shell out for a Sharadon Stage III Valvebody $350+250$ refundable core charge, here is a video of Sawcut with his stage III hope i gave you enough info, just ask me any questions, ive done about 10 of these shift kit installs
JohnnywithaHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Board of Directors (Jay)

'03 shift kit

Good youtube.
Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #5

'03 shift kit

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JohnnywithaHEMI:
well its a hell of a lot better than stock thats for damn sure lol, one of the best cheap mods around if you dont want to shell out for a SHaradon Performance Valvebody, i have the TransGo, but still not what i was looking for, the kit changes feel by stiffening the Accumulator springs, so it allows for a faster apply to the clutches due to less flow being used by the accumulators. At first its going to be very harsh from 2-3 and i reccomend resetting the TCM and PCM, just disconnect the battery for about 30minutes the TCM has to learn the new shift schedules. If you have the superchips and you run it on the 93 setting go ahead and wire in the resistor that the kit comes with to boost pressure, because on the 93 setting superchips actually lowers trans pressure, but dont combine the resistor with any of the other settings. After about 100 miles are put on it the 1-2 will be pretty solid, and 2-3 will give you a little pop and 3-4 is just almost the same and also 2nd prime when you kickdown and it shifts from 2nd prime to 3rd will be the most noticeable jerks your neck lol If you want neck snapping fast *** shifts, do what i did and shell out for a Sharadon Stage III Valvebody $350+250$ refundable core charge, here is a video of Sawcut with his stage III hope i gave you enough info, just ask me any questions, ive done about 10 of these shift kit installs
That's excellent info man THANKS! Ordered one last night. What do you mean by 2nd prime and third prime?

Oh yea diggin the second gear squak in the video!
Old 03-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #6

'03 shift kit

After you install the Transgo kit, cut the torque management request (TMR) wire going into your PCM. Has a much better effect than the shift kit alone, and is only possible on '03 trucks.
FrostKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #7

'03 shift kit

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FrostKing:
After you install the Transgo kit, cut the torque management request (TMR) wire going into your PCM. Has a much better effect than the shift kit alone, and is only possible on '03 trucks.
yOU MEAN THE tcm MOD?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #8

'03 shift kit

Yes.
FrostKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #9

'03 shift kit

So the TCM mod+superchips+shift reprogrammer will all play nicely together? Will they all work off one another? Does the Transgo only work at WOT?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #10

'03 shift kit

you dont want to use the Resistor that comes with the transgo, unless you are going to run the 93 tune from SC, the shift kit works as it says and is basically only an acuumulator spring mod, you stiffen the springs so the apply is firmer because there is more spring pressure for the fluid to push against therefore more of that fluid goes right to apply the clutches for less overlap as well.
JohnnywithaHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote