Sounds bad...don't know why. - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 12-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #1

Sounds bad...don't know why.

My stereo system still doesn't sound very good,and I'm not sure what the offender is.

I started out with a base system with the REF headunit. Sounded "dead",just like the Challenger with it's stock system sounds. Flat and dead. You could adjust in some high bass and low treble with the tone controls,but the base system didn't cut it at all.

The first thing I did was add two Infinity 3022cf mid/tweeters to the dash,and wired them into the front speaker wires in the dash. It definitely sounded very bright,with the Infinitys overpowering all else. I "capacitored it down" until it sounded balanced,and buttoned it all up. I think it was after that I had to take the truck in to have a rattley speaker replaced,and they performed a complete 6x9 changeout with supposed upgraded Panasonic speakers. Not long after that,it seemed like the stereo was hurting my ears,and lacking any bass.

Since then,I have replaced the headunit with an aftermarket Kenwood,and then replaced the 6x9's with Pioneer TS-6962R's. Now,my bass is a lot better,but something is still hurting my ears! There is either a frequency around 3000-5000 HZ that is too strong,or the cab of the truck has too much plastic to absorb and dampen the shrillness. Sounds like there's at least one over-prominent,distorted mid-range frequency.

I'd like to have a spectrum analyzer and a really flat microphone so I could see what was happening with a test disc. Maybe I should disconnect my dash Infinitys and see if that helps. My Pioneers have silk dome tweeters,and those are usually very smooth. They might be enough by themselves.

Shifterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 02:23 AM   #2

Sounds like you might have too much on the high end. But I am not expert.
rdsetgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #3

EMS HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 06:58 PM   #4

Thanks! Honestly,I don't know whether it's in the low treble or high midrange. Didn't get a chance to check it out any today. Used the truck a lot,but not the stereo.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #5

it's hard to help without listening to it , do you have any amplifiers on? are the dash speakers still connected to the 6x9?.
Does the Kenwood have any crossovers?
To have full control of your sound you need one channel of amplification for each pair of speakers ( i have 9 Chanel's)all the Chanel's need to have crossovers, (capacitors are good for tweeters but not for mids)
sppb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #6

Thanks!

None of the speakers are amplified outside of the headunit. The dash speakers are in parallel with the front door speakers,with capacitors on each dash speaker.

I've decided that I'm not going to figure out where the peaks and valleys are in my setup without a spectrum analyzer. I had a nice test tone cd,but now I can't find it.

Need about two more days off to get stuff done around here....
Old 01-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #7

To follow up...the Infinity 3022cf mid-tweeters that I had installed in the dash were pulling too much from the new Pioneer 6X9's. I removed the Infinitys,and the Pioneers just came to life! Really strong.

I still think I need some high end coming from around the dash somewhere,but I think I'll go with some little silk domes mounted in the top of the door panels.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:51 PM   #8

danitolaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by danitolaboy:
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #10