sound deadening project has begun... - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Holston\sHemi

sound deadening project has begun...

well i originally just planned to do the rear seat fold down mod and since i can never leave well enough alone i decided i should build a custom amp rack for behind the seats.

so i took the seats out of the truck, took the black cardboard off the back wall, then measured it for the rack. this is what i plan to put in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Holston\sHemi

since i had bare metal back there i figured i would put in some sound deadener back there. so off to a few audio shops i went and the best deal i could find was 4 square feet of the original dynamat for 40 bucks. i bought two.

this stuff is not easy to put in. i cut it to fit and you have to use a heat gun or hair dryer to make the material more pliable then go over it with a roller to make it stick to all the nooks and crannies and to get the air pockets out.

and since i cant leave well enough alone i figured what the hell might as well do the whole truck now. after i got the wifes blessing and said she could buy herself something too to make it fair i was off to find the best deal online. so after about 10 hours of online research on other boards and this one i found this link http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

this a very good break down of the different types of sound deadener thats available. the dynamat is ridiculously expensive and there are much cheaper alternatives that work just as good. especially for our trucks since you need about 150 square feet to completely do the inside. maybe more. as you can imagine with the dynamat you could easily spend a grand on this stuff.

i really wanted to go with the second skin since thats the best but after checking shipping costs to hawaii i would actually pay more for shipping than the actual material. i just cant deal with that.

the fatmat and raammat appear to be the best choices since you can buy in bulk. the fatmat is $100 for 100 sq ft. and the raammat is $118 for 62 sq ft i believe. (but its supposed to be superior material) and the shipping is not that bad. 30 bucks per 100 sq ft roll compared to 100 bucks for 80 sq ft of the second skin. i plan on purchasing about 150 to 200 square feet and put a couple layers on the floor. i figure might as well do it right the first time.

so now i am going to place my order and after i recieve it i will do the install and post lots of pics.

i swear the modding never ends!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
Holston\sHemi

the amp mounting board pic is not the best.its not the stock cardboard that was back there. this is someone elses pic i found online but its the shape i want. im making mine out of mdf board then carpeting it black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Holston\sHemi

well after further research i have come to the conlclusion that the second skin is actually the best route to go. i was concerned about shipping costs initially as they were outrageous but i checked with fedex and ups and the raammat and second skin shipping prices are dead on.

i actually ordered the fatmat but im going to cancel my order tomorrow after reading a ton of posts on other sites complaining about horrible customer service, tar smell, and loooooonng shipping times. i have a week off at the end of this month so i cant wait 4 weeks to get it.

i have read alot of people happy with thier fatmat but i figure the piece of mind of fast shipping and a high quality product is worth the price difference. plus my truck is black and attracts alot of heat, if i got the fatmat and it melted i would be furious and i would end up spending more to redo it. ill keep yall posted when i get more info. hope all this helps someone.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:02 AM   #5

You will like your choice. I did most of my cab with Second Skin. You may want to get some thin gloves. The aluminium backing will eat the end of your fingers for lunch AND dinner.

JG
Big Budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Big Budda:
You will like your choice. I did most of my cab with Second Skin. You may want to get some thin gloves. The aluminium backing will eat the end of your fingers for lunch AND dinner.

JG
You got tht right !! We use foil tape and foil back adhesive foam tapes at work and yes there hard on the hands if not careful
5SpeedHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
Holston\sHemi

well too late on the second skin. i called fatmat and my order has already been shipped so im not gonna pay another 180 to ship it back. ill take pics and let yall know how it turns out.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
&quot*Damn*its*gotta*Hemi*&quot

Old 03-15-2007, 04:29 AM   #9

I went the cheap route. Home Depot and Lowe's sell roofing material that comes in like an 6"x20' roll for about $10. If oyu are not doing serious competion, this is basically the same as Dynamat or other sound deadners. Check it out if you are thinking of defending sound.
Hemi Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:45 AM   #10
Holston\sHemi

amp rack is finished, here it is against the back wall. waiting on the fatmat to gut the interior and cover everything.