Scanner Antenna Options - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 06-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #1

Scanner Antenna Options

I have a BCT-8 mobile scanner and was wondering if any of you have installed this, what kind of antenna did you install and what you did with antenna placement. I don't want to drill any holes, so I guess that limits me, but I'd like the suggestions anyway. Has anyone heard of an adapter that uses the stock radio antenna for the scanner as well? Supposedly has no effect on the radio signal.

jsampsell

jsampsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #2

Scanner Antenna Options

Been a long time scanner fan. And amateur operator.

Don't bother with the fm radio adapter antenna. It DOES affect your stereo reception. NO matter the company says. Fringe stations will disappear. THe scanner will also not receive very good, at the higher frequencies.

You would have better luck with "through the glass" antenna. But you better get the expensive one. they are of different quality.,, and make sure your 2 inches from every piece of steel on the window frame.

Having said all that,,, the best is a wide band scanner antenna 1/4 wave. (drill hole)

The best place to mount is directly in front of the third brake light. by poppping the light out, you can get your fingers in there to tighten it down, then route the cable over the headliner, down the b pillar, and under the seat to the scanner.

Don't mess with science. a direct connect dedicated antenna will provide the best reception for the most frequencies. and you don't have to spend a fortune on equipment. prob 15 bucks for the mount with cable, and 10-15 for the 1.4 wave antenna.

Tighenten her down and tune in. I have never had one of my holes leak, and I have enver had DC give me prob when I turned the truck in.
yoyo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Director Emeritus

Garage
Scanner Antenna Options

Great info - thank you Sir
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #4

Scanner Antenna Options

Here: