Question - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 07-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #1

Question

Does anyone the mounting depth for the 6x9 in the front doors. I was wanting to buy some Infinity Kappas but I didn't know if they would fit?

In Debt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Director Emeritus

Garage
Question

Not sure if this helps, but according to Crutchfield, replacement speaker depth for the front doors of a 2008 Ram QC are as follows:

Top-mount Depth (Inches) 1 13/16
Bottom-mount Depth (Inches) 2 1/16
MrHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #3

Question

I have never done this so forgive me if my questions sounds ignorant, would a speaker fit that has a top mount depth a 3 1/4"? What is the difference of a top mount and bottom mount depth?
In Debt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Board of Directors (Jay)

Question

Quote:
quote:I have never done this
Where have I heard this before.
Superjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #5

Question

I know my 05 is different but I had a set of 3-3/16 top mount depth 6x9s with the factory spacers and had no issues.
Bill_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #6

Question

I know my reply rather late but... I just installed a pair of Pioneer 6x9 TS-D6902R speakers. They are alot thicker than the cheap Infinity speakers they replaced. They have way better sound than the Infinities.

I measured the mounting depth from surface of each of the 4 speaker screw holes in the door frame to the window in it's full rolled down position... 3 1/2 inches. The back of the Pioneer speaker magnets would easily hit the glass so I dug through my toolbox and found 8 plastic 1/2 inch spacers (from an old under cabinet coffee pot). Now the magnet "barely" clears the window when it rolls up and down... I bet its as tight as 1/8 inch clearance between the magnet and glass. Beware of the window gear mechanism (curved geared chunk of metal at edge of speaker opening inside door) as it rotates when the window rolls up and down. Be sure the speaker parts inside the door will clear it when it rotates. I turned my new speakers 180 degrees to mount with terminals at the top as opposed to the bottom to allow clearance.

Sounds great but the rear infinity speakers cannot keep up so they'll get replaced next with either Pioneer's 6.5 inch TS-D1602R or 5.25 inch TS-D1302R.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #7

Question

you only used spacers on the screw mountings?
Your rear sound wave should be sealed (as much as possible) from the front wave, you better off make some full diameter spacers from 1/2" MDF board
sppb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #8

Question

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sppb:
you only used spacers on the screw mountings?
Your rear sound wave should be sealed (as much as possible) from the front wave, you better off make some full diameter spacers from 1/2" MDF board
I was wondering about that myself but didn't really want to say anything.
Both my doors are completely covered with dynomat xtreme to help control sound.
Bill_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #9

Question

This is Fred... for some brain fart reason, I managed to create 2 livecloud accts. Anyways, yeah the spacers are currently on the screw mountings. I'm pretty sure I got enough scrap mdf in the garage to make some better spacers... thanks for the tip "sppb".
Freondude is offline   Reply With Quote