Pioneer tuner AM performance? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 04-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Pioneer tuner AM performance?

Okay. I'll admit it. I'm a Beckbot. A Rush-baby. Been Hannitized. Even listen to Gary Sullivan when he's on sometimes. AM radio talk is what I primarily listen to during the day, if I'm not listening to music. But no manufacturer ever lists specs for AM radios. They might have sensitivity numbers, but never frequency response. I can't stand muddled, blanket-thrown-over-the-speakers-sounding AM. That is not it's "normal" sound. On a radio with a well-designed AM section, the sound quality is very close to FM. And way better-sounding than satellite talk stations. It seems as though only OEM radios have very good AM tuners.

My question is to those of you who might have the latest Pioneer Supertuner and who listen to AM a lot. Can you please tell me how it sounds? I can't find reviews that mention it, or any place that sells stereos that is able to receive AM in the store. It's like Best Buy is built inside a Faraday cage. I want a radio that has a reasonably wide I.F. section on AM (good sound).

This is not to exclude FM! On the FM side, I want a very sensitive tuner that keeps stereo reception as far as possible without blending to mono or killing the high end. My Kenwood DDX-512 has a very good tuner. One of the best I have heard in a vehicle on FM. But the AM sounds like it rolls off at 3 khz. Sensitive on AM, but not the best sound. I know that Pioneer's tuner, on paper, has better numbers, and may be more sensitive. I might be tempted to switch to Pioneer if the tuner is much better. So if anyone can weigh-in on Pioneer and what their tuner is like, I'd appreciate it.

Shifterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement