Newer OEM head unit in older truck? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 02-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #1

Newer OEM head unit in older truck?

Is there any chance that I could swap the RBQ radio in my 2005 for something like a RES radio from a 2008 (or something similar)?

I'd like to gain XM while maintaining all the factory looks and functionality (but without having to buy the discontinued, overpriced TERK kit, or going with an aftermarket HU with all the adapters, or adding an external XM module).

So I'd really just like to know if this is an option. Which radio models from what years will plug right in to the factory harness in my 05?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #2
James

Garage
This is probably going to be a difficult question to answer unless someone has actually done it. I personally would look on eBay and find a picture of the rear of both radios and at least see if they were similar, or if there are added connectors. That at least would let you know if it a simple plug and play. Good luck.

DakotaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
i highly doubt it, the shape completely changed and my money says the plugs did too...i took my 430n nav unit out today, the plus are nowhere close to the older style ones. this radio has 3 plugs...

NewfieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
Board of Directors

Garage
As you know, anything can be done if you have the time and money to do it. I believe that you will have to modify the wiring harness in the truck to accommodate the newer radio. You will also probably have to modify the center section of the dash where the radio is. I believe the newer are true double din radios where as the 02-08 radios are din and a half.

Here is what I think you will need.
1. The newer radio that you are wanting along will all connectors with pigtail wiring.
2. A different center section for the dash (don't want to mess up original with no backup)
3. You will also need to fabricate new mounting brackets
4. Wiring diagram for the 05 radio and the newer radio.

I know I am missing a few things but this should be a start.

Mods: Coming Soon

cruel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
Board of Directors

Garage
If you don't want to try it yourself, find a stereo shop that does full on custom work. If you were here in Alabama there is a shop here will do anything you are willing to pay for.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
James

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruel1 View Post
As you know, anything can be done if you have the time and money to do it. I believe that you will have to modify the wiring harness in the truck to accommodate the newer radio. You will also probably have to modify the center section of the dash where the radio is. I believe the newer are true double din radios where as the 02-08 radios are din and a half.

Here is what I think you will need.
1. The newer radio that you are wanting along will all connectors with pigtail wiring.
2. A different center section for the dash (don't want to mess up original with no backup)
3. You will also need to fabricate new mounting brackets
4. Wiring diagram for the 05 radio and the newer radio.

I know I am missing a few things but this should be a start.

You will also probably need the navigation antenna, unless your truck already has one.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
James

Garage
Sorry about that. I was looking at a 2009 Navigation System. After further research, I found something you may wish to read. Scroll down towards the bottom, where you will read how Dodge is getting a little bit ridiculous even with the radios.

A Guide to Chrysler (Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth) Stereo ?Head Units?

Old 02-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #8
Board of Directors

Garage
DakotaJ, didn't even think about the nav antenna or the xm antenna.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #9
James

Garage
This all basically comes down to, how much money do you really want to spend. Dodge said I wouldn't be able to get the Hemi to work in my truck. So I drive it up their to show them it could be done. So I'm a firm believer, anything can be done with time, patience, and a deep pocket. Looking at all that could be involved, a Terk kit may be the cheapest way to go. If you wish to go forward, I'll do my best to help you locate the wiring diagram for each of the radios. Just let me know.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
seems a little extreme to me for just a sirius...id deal with an external unit and try and make it so i dosent look out of place. heres what i did with my 08...but if you are "sirus" lol , im selling my nav unit.

NewfieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote