New Head unit with new amp or not? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Last yrs income tax$ went on 4 Memphis audio PR speakers and the whole cab lizard skinned.Now theres not nearly enough power for the new speakers.The lady behind the desk was too much of a rambler to help me with what I need.As luck would have,a Farm and Fleet store is located across the street from where i bought the speakers and I ran into one of the kids that remembered my truck.He gave me some watts per ch. info and said really my best bet would be to do both,new head unit and amp.I was hoping just an amp addition would do it but the price isn't unreasonable for both.Anyone done something like this before?Thanks,Joe Zucco.

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #2

Last yrs income tax$ went on 4 Memphis audio PR speakers and the whole cab lizard skinned.Now theres not nearly enough power for the new speakers.The lady behind the desk was too much of a rambler to help me with what I need.As luck would have,a Farm and Fleet store is located across the street from where i bought the speakers and I ran into one of the kids that remembered my truck.He gave me some watts per ch. info and said really my best bet would be to do both,new head unit and amp.I was hoping just an amp addition would do it but the price isn't unreasonable for both.Anyone done something like this before?Thanks,Joe Zucco.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
sub specs? and what deck/amp do you currently have?

NewfieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #4

I dont reall know sub specs are,but the Mephis speakers are so much better than stock.The head is also stock.For a small town of 10k this guy has a nice set up for aftermarket gear.He had a room where I could here what I have currently,what it would sound like with different head units ,with,and without amps,minus the dynatechs and magnaflows,LOL.Right now for a little over $200 hes putting in a sony unit 660u,no amp----yet.Without the Hemi and headers and Magnaflow,this is what i'll buy.If I need more UMPH when I'm cruising,I'll buy the amp!The the Katskins!!!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #5

Meant to say,"Then the Katskins"sorry!They have some wicked lokking Hemi-Ram Head set-ups.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
i have used higher end sony,alpine,pioneer kenwood and alpine decks.the sonys sounded the worst by far wasnt impressed.the pioneer and kenwwods are about the same which is good but the alpine really shines, its so much cleaner. big thing to watch for is preout voltage. you want around a 4.5-5v preout, the amp runs a litttle louder and much cleaner....you go could a lower end deck and add an amp for your speakers. once again alpine is great look for something in the 70X4 watt rms at 4 ohm range. so you can keep the amp turned down a little

Old 06-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

Sitting in the guys sound room I thought the Alpine sounded best also,butto me, the Sony sys. was next best,and when the amp was added,seems to sound the best.We'll see,might have been that last 3 Days Grace concert I haven't healed up yetLOL. 2 mmrw we'll see!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Farrrrrr East Coast

Garage
i like kicker the most, dont know why i didnt mention it...hifisoundconnection on ebay are great to deal with, they sell new and refurbished kicker and other brands, they are an authorized retailer.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #9

Got the Sony installed and probably has twice the volume as the stock had,but sounded better with the amp setup while we were testing things out in the shop before the install,so the amp may be next.All in all,happy with the sound so far.Now a question.I got a nephew whose kinda handy and dosen't have aradio in his old Chevy truck.Could he hook up my stock dodge unit to his Chevy truck?Thanks,Joe
Old 06-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by joe zucco:
Got the Sony installed and probably has twice the volume as the stock had,but sounded better with the amp setup while we were testing things out in the shop before the install,so the amp may be next.All in all,happy with the sound so far.Now a question.I got a nephew whose kinda handy and dosen't have aradio in his old Chevy truck.Could he hook up my stock dodge unit to his Chevy truck?Thanks,Joe
Depending on what size speakers you installed you are going to want at least 40-60 watts rms per speaker vs the 15 or so that the Sony is putting out right now.
The best way to do it is to run to sets of RCA cables from the deck to a 4 channel amp and run all new speaker wire to all of the speakers so that you do not have to cut up any of the factory wiring.
It is always better to go with an amp that is a little larger than what you need and turn the gains down than it is to run a smaller amp with the gains turned all the way up. Doing this will also leave you room to upgrade to better speakers if you ever want to.
2005 Ram Daytona #1445 / GoManGo! / Mopar CAI / Night Runner 22"s / Auburn limited slip / 2-4 Drop/ Edelbrock mid-length headers / Custom True Dual Exhaust / Superchips Flashpaq / Summit Racing Underdrive / Trango Shift kit / Edge Racing TC / Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock / EVS II with Sentry key and remote start / Alpine, Orion, and Kicker custom stereo / SilverStar headlights and foglights / Optima Yellow Top / AEM Wideband in SRT-10 Pillar / Retrax Bed Cover / Spray in Bed Liner

Bill_L is offline   Reply With Quote