How much amp do I need? - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 02-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #1

How much amp do I need?

Hello, boys and girls. I'm currently upgrading my subs and amp. I recently bought a pair of Cadence Mallet MW12-2 600w subs. 300watts RMS, 2 ohm single voice coil, SPL @1W/1M 86db, freq resp: 20Hz-1khz, 2" four-layer voice coil, 4 1/4" mounting depth. I want to know how much amp do I need to push these. I'm currently running an "old school" pair of Pioneer TS-W33C 450w-150W RMS subs being pushed by a Dual XAF 340w-170W X 1 RMS @4 ohms bridged. I also have a pair of Pyle 6X9's and 5 1/4" that are not amped. I just use the power off my Kenwood KDC-322 head unit to push those. I also have 2 pairs of 300w tweeters with built-in crossovers mounted on the B & C pillars. All together, it sounds pretty damn tight and loud...but not quite tight and loud enough, if you know what I mean!!! Anyways, any suggestions would help!!! THANKS!!!

05HemiRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #2

How much amp do I need?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 05HemiRox:
Hello, boys and girls. I'm currently upgrading my subs and amp. I recently bought a pair of Cadence Mallet MW12-2 600w subs. 300watts RMS, 2 ohm single voice coil, SPL @1W/1M 86db, freq resp: 20Hz-1khz, 2" four-layer voice coil, 4 1/4" mounting depth. I want to know how much amp do I need to push these. I'm currently running an "old school" pair of Pioneer TS-W33C 450w-150W RMS subs being pushed by a Dual XAF 340w-170W X 1 RMS @4 ohms bridged. I also have a pair of Pyle 6X9's and 5 1/4" that are not amped. I just use the power off my Kenwood KDC-322 head unit to push those. I also have 2 pairs of 300w tweeters with built-in crossovers mounted on the B & C pillars. All together, it sounds pretty damn tight and loud...but not quite tight and loud enough, if you know what I mean!!! Anyways, any suggestions would help!!! THANKS!!!
WOW! I'm not exactly sure what all you said!
and sorry I'm no expert, but here's what I'd do.
Find out where you want to mount the amp and measure it. Then buy the biggest sum-bitchen, amp your wallet can afford that will fit in the space you have! Use as much second skin (or dynamat) as you can, and you'll have a nice clean, and loud set of tunes!

And BTW, Nice looking truck!
Birdshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:22 AM   #3

How much amp do I need?

Yup, Im Dynomatted, just want a little more "loudness". I put my amp underneath the driver seat. Best place to put it. I don't want to blow my speakers!!! I'm already on thin ice with the finance department (i.e.- MY WIFE!). THANKS!!!

My Hemi is powered by: My family, MGD, Metallica, Shadows Fall, Cherry Bomb Vortex, 49ers, Korn, Tupac Shakur, Xzibit, Kings, Sierra Nevada, Motley Crue, Danica Patrick, Mariska Hargitay, Public Enemy, Poison, Ratt, Dokken, Braves, Rusty, Kurt, the Pettys, Kasey, Ryan, JPM, Bomz CAI, BB King, Muddy Waters, Paul Butterfield, Teresa Strasser, Fortis Stainless Step, Kenwood, Pyle, Cadence, Dual, Dynomax, Swift Dodge, Folsom Lake Chrysler, Stevie Ray Vaughn, George Thorogood, Craftsman, Olivia Munn, XBOX 360, Mojito's, Skyy, Taylor, NGK, etc etc etc......

05HemiRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #4

How much amp do I need?

OK what you have is a 600 watts RMS total with a final 1 ohm parallel or 4 ohm series loud, requires a class D (1 ohm stable) amp or a 2 channel bridged.
A suggest a class D (1 ohm stable ) between 600 and 800 watts RMS, i can recommend a couple if i know how much you want to spend
sppb is offline   Reply With Quote