Component door speakers - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 08-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #1

Component door speakers

I am looking for a good set of 6 1/2" door speakers since my 6 year old JBL speakers are giving up. I was trying to decide between Memphis or Boston Acoustics. Any other options would be great. The Memphis speakers are the power reference components and the bostons are the SX60's.
Can the tweeters be ran to the dash and put in the speaker holes there with some modifications or is there a good place to put the tweeter in the door?

hemioffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #2

Component door speakers

technically the tweeter should not be separated from the mid bass more than 1.5 times the size of the mid bass, component sets are made to play together, the flexibility of remote mounting the tweeter is just to enhance the staging, installing it too far apart will compromise the integrity of the set. The ideal would be a 3 way set
i never used Memphis before but i like Boston a lot, can't go wrong with them
sppb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #3

Component door speakers

I like POLK audio.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #4

Component door speakers

So, is there a good spot in the door that I would be able to cut a hole for the tweeter, or would I be better off getting a non component set. I am not looking for a heavy bass note coming out of the door speakers, but more midrange and highs. I will be adding 2 12's soon so they will cover the bass.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #5

Component door speakers

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hemioffroad:
So, is there a good spot in the door that I would be able to cut a hole for the tweeter, or would I be better off getting a non component set. I am not looking for a heavy bass note coming out of the door speakers, but more midrange and highs. I will be adding 2 12's soon so they will cover the bass.
Why dont you go with a non component in the door and add speakers to the dash. You have 2 holes in the dash for speakers.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #6

Component door speakers

Have you considered a set of kick panels? That's what I've done with a 6.5" set and then replaced the 6x9 in the door. I think it's pretty important to have a good crossover in your HU to take advantage of the addition as well. Just another option for ya.
osuHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #7

Component door speakers

Shane is right, the best place for the mids and highs it's the dash but you still need the doors for the midbass, i have a component set on my doors and i don't take much advantage of them since the dash does most off the work, so i can cut the bass of the dash speakers completely and the door speakers will take care of the midbass.
My advice is get a good set of 4" for the dash (i know it's 3.5 but most 4" fit with very little modification) and leave the doors for after the subs then you will judge if you need more highs you get the components if not just get a good 2 way coaxial or a set of midbass
sppb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:44 AM   #8

Component door speakers

I am running a set of Orion P6.2 components. I have the Mids in the doors and the Tweets in the dash.. I think they sound great.
Everyone that has heard them so far has been impressed. Sadly these are not made any more.

Do watch your mounting depth. I had to used the factory 6x9 spacer and another 6x9 spacer underneth my 6 inch to 6x9 adaptor plate to clear everything in the door. There was no issues with the panel getting close to the speaker.
Some sets like these are also bi-ampable so you can use a 4 channel amp and power each component seperatly if you wanted to.

Bill
Bill_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #9

Component door speakers

These ideas should work a lot better than what I came up with. So, I will put 4" speakers in the dash, leave my JBL 6x9's in the door till they actually go out completely, and then replace them with something else for midbass. Since the box I am building is probably going to cover the back speakers I have to put in something else, even though the back speakers don't seem to do too much to me. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #10

Component door speakers

I found these Infinity Kappa Perfects for the dash. How would these be? They seem to have a better frequency range and they have a higher RMS rating than the boston acoustics and JL's, and they have a better warranty. I think they are at a good price for the quality.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...108427I&tp=102