Hemi Truck Club banner

anyone know how to fit an extra battery in a 1500 quad?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  brand_x_racing 
#1 ·
trying to figure out how I am going to add another battery, my local shop said it will not fit under the hood...

#2 ·
There is room on the other side if you have removed the stock air intake and are running an aftermarket intake like the AFE, I'm sure there is room but it would take someone getting off their lazy
and crawl under the truck, take measurements, figure out a good place to mount another bracket and how to run the wires

#3 ·
Would work great especially with the SRT hood and an intake to match the hood. Then there is noting over there. I'm figuring out how to do that now with the new truck.

#4 ·
Seriously though, the rep or yellow optima can handle alot, especially if your running a ton of stuff off the battery get the yellow

#6 ·
Just a thought, once you remove your stock airbox you might be able to use the lower part (if its big enough) as a platform or container for another battery, just a thought

#8 ·
I'll be doing the same thing soon myself (If I ever get around to it). There's more than enough room where the old airbox was. My cai leaves me enough clearance to mount a marine battery tray and I'll use the old bolt holes in the fender well. I've got some pretty massive cable (2 or 4 ga. I think) that I'll run to the back to power an inverter. I'll then tie in the batts together. I may also install a batt switch so I can separate the drain from batt. 1 & 2. It'd be a bitch to install a second battery and then drain 'em both.

#10 ·
I have this stuff readily available. It's easier to pull it from stock than go searching for one. Besides that, I didn't realize, lol.

#11 ·
Unless you run your accessories with the engine off a second battery will be just another loud on your charging system and extra weight on the truck, after you start the engine the alternator takes over and runs the entire electrical system, the diesel needs more amps due to the higher compression requiring a bigger starter

#12 ·
I can't speak for a diesel as I'm running with a 5.7 but there should be no problems running with a second batt. as far as charging. In my case yes, it would be for running accessories as #2 would be mostly feeding an inverter. As for hemi-bump I don't know what his needs are but it is feasable and the space is available.

#14 ·
quote:Originally posted by sppb:
Unless you run your accessories with the engine off a second battery will be just another loud on your charging system and extra weight on the truck, after you start the engine the alternator takes over and runs the entire electrical system, the diesel needs more amps due to the higher compression requiring a bigger starter
I agree, But the Battery works as Stiffining capacitor once started, and keeps alternator voltage from having a 1 to 2 volt alternating dc voltage. You might think about using 1 or 2 of the Batcaps, those things work great or get a few capacitors, I remember Phoenix gold had a cap that was just an amplifer case with about 20 farads of capitance, any audio system that we could fit in our trucks would have a hard time making the lights dim with 20 farads of caps. Even 3 farads would probably do the job, but the batcap is small and you could put it anywhere, and it has some good capacitance. Predator also made a MINI battery with 700 cca that was 8" long, 6" wide, and 6" tall

If your dead set on another batt, I highly suggest getting a Batt isolator, and a disconnect switch, and My personal favorite upgrade is the charging wire between the alternator and the batt. is b.s. 10 guage or 8, Upgrade that to a min of 4 guage, this helps too!

And location just call a junkyard and get a batt box for the pass side off a 2500 diesel! Just dont forget the Isolator, cause you will burn things up if you dont do things right, and it costs alot less to do it right the first time than to have to do it a couple times and risk loosing the truck and your hard work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.