3.5" speaker advice PLEASE - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 03-14-2015, 11:20 PM   #1

3.5" speaker advice PLEASE

Hey, how're you all feeling tonight? Good! You look good!

Let me cut to the chase: Need recommendations for a really good 3.5" coaxial speaker for my dash. I have Infinitys now (think 3032cf?) and they are harsh and smeary with the treble firing up into that glass, and I can't get them to sound right. I like "bright" sound, as long as it's detail and NOT sibilant. My wife's 2013 Durango has tweeters in the door panels up high and it may be the best system I have heard. Nice airy treble that is easy on the ears! My own research on the subject makes me think I need silk dome tweeters, and not metal dome. Can anyone verify that that's the case?

My other thought was to remove the dash speakers altogether and put them in the upper corner of each door. Not sure what you call this: sail panel? Upper door trim panel? Is there even enough depth to flush mount a tweeter there? Thanks! Steve P.

Shifterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2015, 01:59 AM   #2

I had the base 4 speaker system and I was thinking of adding these to the dash. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.
Good Luck!

MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires, Airaid CAI, Superchips 3865,
Homebrew E-fan, Custom 2.5" Dual Exhaust with merge Y & 22"
Magnaflow SIDO, Sonnax pressure booster, Stant 190 stat, Fastman TB
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Blue: 1988 W100 4X4 Standard Cab Longbox 318 188,000 miles
==================================================
NewBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

Well the Infinity's I have now hurt my ears being in the dash, and I just now checked the upper door panels and there is about 1/2" clearance inside them. The cheapest and safest thing to do is go ahead with a pair of Polk dB351's or equivalent and see if that removes the harshness, and if it doesn't, maybe find some shallow mounts and move them out to the doors.

What's complicating matters is I now have Tinnitus all of a sudden, and everything is sounding like crap except for the wife's Durango stereo system. I can still hear detail and everything but it's like now everything is extra harsh or extra dull-sounding. I don't listen to anything loud very often so I must have an ear infection or something.

Anyway, my truck came with the base 4 speaker system and I have the Infinity dash speakers tapped into the wiring to the front door speakers. Driven by a Blaupunkt 530 head unit which has a nice EQ built-in.

Shifterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote