2006 Ram 1500 Radio install - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 02-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Garage
2006 Ram 1500 Radio install

Currently my aftermarket radio (Pioneer head unit) is pulling 12v switched power from the cigarette lighter. Problem is, the radio won't turn on when the key is in the accessory position. Is there an alternate power source where I could make this work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #2

You could use this wiring diagram for your truck and run the positive power lead to the hot wire going to your ignition switch...

OR.......

Just call a local radio shop and ask them where's the best place to move it to..

ArcticWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
john

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to wolf_with_the_red_rose1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gtcs View Post
Currently my aftermarket radio (Pioneer head unit) is pulling 12v switched power from the cigarette lighter. Problem is, the radio won't turn on when the key is in the accessory position. Is there an alternate power source where I could make this work?

I know that my 04's aux. 12 v power outlet socket is not switched

Old 02-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #4

Garage
Great thanks!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
Matt

Garage
There should have been a power source in the harness for the old radio......shouldn't have had to go searching for power anywhere else unless there was a problem......most radio harnesses have all the same wires, a ground source, 12v constant power to keep presets, 12v key power to run the radio, and 2 wires x4 corners for the speaker outs. Good luck
2011 Ram 2500 ST 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, crew cab, short box, 4:10 gear ratio with rear LSD, 180 amp alternator, tow mirrors w/ puddle and signal lamps, popular options group, carpet deleted, Ranch Hand front bumper, 9500# winch, pair of 100w KC lights, Magnum RT steps, Line-x sprayed bedliner, stampede o/e style fender flares, Ram branded oversize rubber mud flaps, stampede smoked bug deflector, Dee Zee toolbox

MANual_puller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANual_puller View Post
There should have been a power source in the harness for the old radio......shouldn't have had to go searching for power anywhere else unless there was a problem......most radio harnesses have all the same wires, a ground source, 12v constant power to keep presets, 12v key power to run the radio, and 2 wires x4 corners for the speaker outs. Good luck
Apparently the stock harness gets switched power off a couple of the data lines...guess it's set up differently than aftermarket units. That was going to be my initial plan.

I might try the ignition switch and see if that works. Otherwise I suppose I'll stick with the cig lighter.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89gtcs View Post
Apparently the stock harness gets switched power off a couple of the data lines...guess it's set up differently than aftermarket units. That was going to be my initial plan.

I might try the ignition switch and see if that works. Otherwise I suppose I'll stick with the cig lighter.

----------------------------------------------
There are adapters that are 'switched' which fit into the cig lighter ...
I just remembered using one to plug-in an old radar detector that has a broken on/off switch .

HemiFun05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #8

Crutchfield sells an adapter that will fix that problem. I have (had) the Infinity system in my '04, and needed the adapter to properly connect to the amplifier and power it on.

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV ; call their support line and tell them what your issue is. Their service is 1st rate; and their prices aren't bad,either, Although as I recall, the price on that adapter is was $80 or so.

When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe!

I view Nitrous like that hot chick with an STD; you want to hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences....
OldBaldie is offline   Reply With Quote