06 mega cab head unit help needed - Hemi Truck Club

Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > General Maintenance | Owner Info > Mobile Electronics and Entertainment Systems

Old 01-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #1

06 mega cab head unit help needed

Hello I am trying to replace the head unit in my 06 slt mega cab I am not used to can bus crap. The truck had just am/fm cd 4 speaker base unit only one gray plug on harness no controls on wheel. I have a clarion vx401 out of a 05 Durango limited that had the infinity system over head DVD I tried just plugging in the harness with can bus and steering wheel controls just as it was like I thought it did not function correctly. I replaced the factory speakers already and plan on running a self powered bazooka tube for a bit of base. Do I need the canbus to make it work since I don't have nav or steering wheel controls.

any help with factory plug and the wiring schematic for it?

Things are so different from cars 20 years ago
Thank you

Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #2

I think that you have a couple of things going here:

The CANBUS, is used by Chrysler for the premium sound systems, and ran all of the radio controls through the bus. This includes radio control (including, but not limited to the steering wheel controls) and signalling from the radio to the amplifier.

Your Clarion, may not be properly switching the amplifier power on. If you moved the adapter from the Durango for the Infinity system to your MegaCab which did not have the Infinity system; that is almost certainly your problem, as the adapter is trying to route signalling and control over the CANBUS.

I believe that you can get a vanilla adapter set from places such as W0r$t Buy, or Wally World. I know that you can get one from Crutchfield. Just call their support line, and tell them what you need.

When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe!

I view Nitrous like that hot chick with an STD; you want to hit it, but you're afraid of the consequences....
OldBaldie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply I ended up just running power from batt and the switched power off cig lighter and just used the factory harness just to power to speakers because the truck had basic stereo without even steering wheel controls
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
Gold-Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBaldie View Post
I think that you have a couple of things going here:

The CANBUS, is used by Chrysler for the premium sound systems, and ran all of the radio controls through the bus. This includes radio control (including, but not limited to the steering wheel controls) and signalling from the radio to the amplifier.

Your Clarion, may not be properly switching the amplifier power on. If you moved the adapter from the Durango for the Infinity system to your MegaCab which did not have the Infinity system; that is almost certainly your problem, as the adapter is trying to route signalling and control over the CANBUS.

I believe that you can get a vanilla adapter set from places such as W0r$t Buy, or Wally World. I know that you can get one from Crutchfield. Just call their support line, and tell them what you need.
05 1500 SLT Quad Black on Black | Pace Setter Long Tubes | Magna Flow Cat Back | Doug's Electric Cutout | Custom Ram Air Hood | Spyder LED Tails | Spec-D Black Projectors W/Halos | Flex-A-Lite E-Fan |Jet 180 Stat | K&N CAI | 20 inch wheels | Comp 268 Cam W/6.1 push rods and springs | Diablo Trinity | Custom Tune by Charged392.

kcd1369 is offline   Reply With Quote