Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Engine | Modifications, Repairs and Performance

Join Hemi Truck Club Today

Old 04-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #1

easy power wire

Since the wether is getting better i decide to install a "power wire" and after some hard thinking i decided to use this type of quick connection that allows me to switch resistors fast and easy, This connectors are used in Europe for audio installs and are very reliable they are available at Radio Shack.
I tested a 2.4 k ohm and a 4.7k ohm resistors using the Superchips Intake temperature monitoring feature and to know the readings are completely off at stock, at 7c degrees the readings are way higher, with the 2.4k resistor the readings are dead on 7c reeds 7c so it's staying for now for a 7 day test

Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #2

easy power wire

Subscribed

Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Board of Directors

Garage
easy power wire

I'm glad to see someone else fabricate their own. I did too, but I used fully insulated blade type crimp-on connectors, including on the resistors so I can swap easily. I'm using 5 watt resistors because they have way thicker wires (for mechanical strength) than the 1/4 watt. In my setup the resistors and my wiring are inside a flexible split plastic wiring cover.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #4

easy power wire

OK, after 7 days of test the verdict on the 2.4 k ohm power wire is: I LOVE IT
So far i got over 1 MPG gain and the truck feels a lot more responsive, but there is a possibility that i had a bad IAT and the resistor just corrected it since it was reading incorrect without the resistor something like at a 41 degrees air temperature the reading was 55 degrees at around 40 MPH a new IAT only cost $8.00 so i might test a new one soon, but for now this setup it's a keeper
Old 04-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
Board of Directors

Garage
easy power wire

Cool! The resistors I have are 2.4k, 3.3k, and 4.7k. I hope to test all 3 this weekend.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Board of Directors

Garage
easy power wire

Well, I tried out first the 2.4k resistor and then the 4.7k. My overhead display read 49 degrees F. My SC said the IAT was 10 C (50 F). With the 2.4k the SC said the IAT was 7 C (44.6 F). With the 4.7k it was 5 C (41 F). Not the 20 degrees F difference, but 9 degrees F is pretty good I suppose. I'll leave the 4.7k resistor in place for a few days and see how everything goes. My butt dyno says I may have picked up a little power at WOT.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #7

easy power wire

Quote:
quote:I'm using 5 watt resistors because they have way thicker wires (for mechanical strength) than the 1/4 watt
Good idea, but probably not needed.. there is NO amperage to speak of traveling to/from IAT. Nothing wrong with the larger (higher amp rating) version, but just to clarify, if you are making your own, the smaller 1/4 amp versions will work absolutely fine as well.

Dave, do you have one mocked up with a higher value, higher than 4.7? just wondering how high we can go, before the possibility of throwing a code. This message has been edited. Last edited by: madcat, document.write(''+ myTimeZone('Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:47:43 GMT-0700', '12 April 2008 04:47 PM')+''); 12 April 2008 04:47 PM
Old 04-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Board of Directors

Garage
easy power wire

Quote:
quote:Good idea, but probably not needed.. there is NO amperage to speak of traveling to/from IAT.
Yep. I did it for no other reason than the heavier wires since my connectors are the crimp-on type. A 1/4 watt is fine.
Quote:
quoteave, do you have one mocked up with a higher value, higher than 4.7? just wondering how high we can go, before the possibility of throwing a code.
I can stack resistors in series easily and/or put them in both IAT leads in my setup. Just connect them together. But I can't try that today. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #9

easy power wire

How about some sort of resistor to fool the computer that the egr is still connected.........any ideas?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:16 PM   #10

easy power wire

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SouthernComfortHemi:
How about some sort of resistor to fool the computer that the egr is still connected.........any ideas?
Just have to find out what the egr runs in resistance while running cold and hot, then get you a resistor at the same value and bypass the wiring for that!