Hemi Truck Club banner

Truck not starting

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  charged392 
#1 ·
Asking for someone on a local forum, 2006 hemi, his battery went bad so he replaced with a new one and now his truck won't start.

When the ign key is turned nothing happens, is there any of the anti theft measurement that could be messed up by the bad battery and need to be reset?

When he tries to check for codes with his superchips tuner it says ' error check connections'

Thanks.

#3 ·
Subscribe..

#4 ·
Dash lights work, when he jumps the starter, the starter spins but the truck does not start.

#5 · (Edited)
Is the shift lever in park?
Fuses checked?
Fuel pump cycle?
ASD relay checked?

#6 ·
my money is on the ASD relay , we had that happen here at work with a contractor last week with an 08 Ram.

Reactions: Ghost03hemi
#7 ·
asd relay perhaps ?

#9 ·
Keeping in mind the ASD relay only stays energized for a few seconds if the engine is not rotating. Once the engine starts the ASD stays energized. Can be checked by listening to the fuel pump cycle when ignition is first turned on.

Reactions: Ghost03hemi
#10 ·
Refresh my memory. What is the ASD relay and how is it checked?

I'm experiencing intermittent starting myself.
New Starter. Removed starter checked out fine. All fuses checked, Fuel Pump comes on along with all dash lights. Changed out the Ignition Switch and pulled the ignition cylinder for cleaning (it needed a good flush).

Battery was low and had it charged up. I do try to fire it up weekly (Truck doesn't get out much in the off season).

Still getting an intermittent start. Tried shifting weight in the drivers seat from one cheek to the other with no change in results.

It won't start and then later it will. Then it won't again. :facepalm:

#13 ·
Not having to pump the gas. The pump and injectors jump right to life.
I think Greg has a great point along with the cold weather thing. The Battery is near it's expiration. :sad:

Maybe Santa will bring me one. :thumb:

Nothing wrong with new parts.:D

#12 ·
ASD (auto shut down) relay. The ASD is controlled by the pcm. The pcm monitors the ckt output to detect if the engine is running or not. Initially when starting the engine the pcm activates the ASD for 3-5 second providing 12v to fuel pump, injectors and coils. If engine rotation is not detected the PCM opens the ASD relay. If you listen for the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on, you will hear the pump running then stopping after a few seconds. If the battery is not 100% it WILL cause problems. If the battery gets weak just sitting for a week or two it is a sign to replace it. Fresh battery and all connectors clean and there are still intermittent start issues, inspect the IPM (bottom) for corrosion and discoloration. This is how I go about trouble shooting starting problems. Good luck..

#14 ·
ASD (auto shut down) relay. The ASD is controlled by the pcm. The pcm monitors the ckt output to detect if the engine is running or not. Initially when starting the engine the pcm activates the ASD for 3-5 second providing 12v to fuel pump, injectors and coils. If engine rotation is not detected the PCM opens the ASD relay.

This is for the 12v supply to the coils and injector? Does the ASD also control the signal ground from the pcm to the injectors and coils?

#15 ·
The ASD supplies 12v to coils and injectors. Uses a common wire. Also supplies 12v to fuel pump. Does not have anything to do with pcm ground triggers. You recently worked on your fuel pump I believe. Probably have created a problem while wiring the pump?

#17 ·
I use the oem fuel pump wiring to control a relay that powers the walbro pump.

#19 ·
I'm pretty sure it is standatd practice for aftermarket pumps.

Reactions: kcd1369
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.