Hemi Truck Club banner

Changing the computer on an 03

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  kcd1369 
#1 ·
OK here is a question. Has anyone done or heard of someone changing out the whole computer and wiring system on an 03 to make it possible to have a true programmer. In other words allow me to truly tune the truck.

I assume I would need to change the toner ring as well. What else would be involved?

I'm just thinking, if I got a completely wrecked truck and got the parts from it.
:confused:

#3 ·
Eng is fine no toner ring change needed my 2005 eng was out in my 2003 lifted truck runs fine no codes no issues

As for wiring I would imagine getting the entire eng bay harness from firewall out including trans and intake manifold harnesses and the pin out for the firewall would be needed to confirm wiring

#4 ·
So Keith, you have an 05 eng. in an 03 truck? Is that correct? I am wanting to put an 05 computer and harness in my 03. To allow me more flexibility in tuning. I have access to a 04 or 05 that has been wrecked. The one my new bed came off of.

#5 ·
Yes I have my 2005 white truck with a 2003 eng built up I put
My 2005 eng in my lifted 2003 truck

If you wanted to try it I would only go with a 2005 or possibly a late 2004 truck 05 is best because tuning is available 04 I think was still kinda iffy

Just realized its going to be harder than I think 2003 has a cable
Pedal meaning wiring inside would have to be changed out also it can be done its just gonna be crazy to do correctly

#7 ·
Thanks Keith. First I need to see what he wants for all of it. That may help me to decide. :facepalm:

And 04sthemi i will keep an eye out for your bumper and grill. :thumb:

#10 ·
Not sure right now. Just may have the opportunity to get the parts and wouldn't mind having more options with my truck, if the cost isn't too high. :cool:

#11 ·
If making the change I would also only consider using a 05 model. The cable drive throttle I understand is not a big issue as the 05 APPS is built into the pedal assembly and the 03 has the separate APPS that is driven by the throttle cable. Using the later pedal assembly solves the problem. I don't know if anything has changed but the available tuning for the 03 (hemi) is pretty much limited to CMR tuning. The 03 4.7 can be tuned using SCT, and I believe that is because they have drive by cable verses the Hemi's drive by wire. Whatever you do talk with a tuner before deciding what you want to do. I'm back looking for tuning solutions as I have a pretty big cam I want to install. So the hunt continues.

#12 ·
Thanks *******.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.