Go Back   Hemi Truck Club > HEMI | Performance Zone > Induction | Super Chargers, Turbo & Air Intakes

Join Hemi Truck Club Today

Old 01-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #1

CAI EGR noise (ticking) FIX!!!! Yes!

I am beta testing a fix for that friggin' annoying EGR tick with certain CAI's (Mopar, AEM, K&N, MAC, etc.). Some people don't mind it, but I hated it, it sounded like a bad exhaust leak on my truck while cruising under slight load. It was so bad, I was gonna remove my Mopar CAI, but decided to chase down and fix the problem. Well, after a few iterations I think I have something. It's basically a baffle plate for the EGR valve, takes 2 minutes to install and I have absolutly NO ticking noise anymore, the truck sounds beautiful at all RPM's with my Borla exhaust! The check engine light came on with my first couple versions, but with my latest try, it is PERFECT! I think it was a low flow issue?? I can have these Ti or SS plates stamped out at my buddies shop if people are interested, but of course this is for off-road use only and will probably void the warantee on the EGR valve if taken to the dealer with the plate installed ) But again, it's a 2 minute bolt on/off part.

I know EGR valves have been debated, but in my experience over the years, they are completely useless and harm the engine more than doing any good. It's just more emissions BS! Why would you want to inject HOT air into an intake manifold that you just put a COLD AIR INTAKE on??? Makes no sense, but whatever for the tree huggers out there! This fix doesn't eliminate, but only baffles the air anyway.

I am very happy with this fix……

2005 Reg Cab 4x2
Mopar CAI
Borla Side Swept
Rhino Liner
Infinity Kappa's
Superchips (on the way)

Old 01-05-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Director Emeritus

Garage

Hmmm.... sounds that you have quite possibly discovered the cure to the "Hemi Tick" - that's great news! My only concern is what are the adverse effects of this mod (if any)... SuperJay - your thoughts?

Old 01-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #3

I have taken EGR valves off my vehicles ever since they introduced them with NO adverse effects. Again, if anything, it's better for the motor and lets it run cooler. They're only there to knock down NOX. The only thing I can see happening with this fix is your EGR valve may run hotter and may not last as long, but that is yet to be seen. I did check the cost on the valve before I started tampering with this fix and it turned out to be a quite reasonable $43 from my dealer.

You have to ask yourself…..If you were building a performance after market motor, would you instal an EGR system. HELL NO! I just wish I was a software engineer so I could write the code to delete the damn thing completely!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #4

Huskynox,

Very interesting. This is one of the reasons I removed
my CAI and just went with Airaid MIT/Stock AirBox.

Just so everyone knows, this isn't the Hemi tick. It's
exhaust fumes dumping on to the manifold that produces
noise. The stock airbox eliminates this sound.

Do you have pics of this MOD Huskynox? Love to see it.

Btw, great job if it holds up!

Sil
Old 01-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Board of Directors (Jay)

Back in the old days, when Rancher and I were only in our early ninety's, the first thing you would do to your car was block, or disconnect the EGR. That was before computers. It's like running a hose from your tail pipe to your carburetor. From his description, I see where it would do no harm.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #6

Nope, I don't have any pics, sorry. It's basically a baffle plate that’s bolted to the EGR valve. The dealer wouldn't even notice it unless they were looking for it.

As far as the Hemi Tick at idle goes, SilsHemi is right, this is not the fix. The EGR valve is closed at idle. This is the fix for all of us that have a Metal CAI intake tube that resonates the EGR valve noise thru the intake. If you take the EGR tube off you will see that it's basically a small exhaust pipe dumping into the intake manifold just aft of the throttle body. That unbaffled exhaust pipe pops just like exhaust pipes do, resonating into the metal CAI intake tube. The EGR valve is only open at certain conditions when the computer tells it to, this is why the sound comes and goes…..

The Hemi Tick from what I'm told is a fuel regulator near the intake manifold? My Dakota had that same tick with my 5.2l. The dealer warned me of it before I even bought the truck. He said some trucks do it and some don't. I could actually put my hand on that regulator on the Dakota and feel the ticking pulses as I heard them……so I don't think he was BS'ing me. My HEMI doesn't tick, so possibly its just tolerancing within the valves???
Old 01-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #7

Huskynox,

What did you finally do to avoid the check engine light
and how long have you been running since the new design?

Sil
Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #8

Huskynox, I'm interested in your EGR baffle. I've got an AEM Brute Force CAI and I know the tick you are talking about.

You mentioned this fix is for "off-road use only". What do you mean by that?

Appreciate your effort and input.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #9

Keep on pushing it man your definately on to something, man this is what makes this club so great, MEN actually using their brain
Old 01-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #10

SileHemi - I think it was just a matter of getting the right flow thru the pipe. I tried different configurations, would reset the computer, then try it again. I think I finally have something now. Before, the light would usually come on within 10 miles, or I would still get the ticking noise….. I now have 200 miles on the newest config….no light and no EGR noise!!!! I love the way my truck sounds now with the Mopar CAI and Borla! I hated it with that stupid noise! It sounded like a leaky header on one of my old V8's before….yuk.

G&H - I was just being politically correct with that statement. You know we should never mess with emission control systems…..wink, wink……

I'm talking to my buddy now about getting 10 made of either Ti or SS