Hemi Truck Club banner

what PM on 2006 25004x4 front bearings?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  MANual_puller 
#1 ·
I am close to getting this Northern(read rust and neglect) 2006 Ram 25004x4 hemi in good condition,

Truk has 75K miles and I want to know what should have or needs to be done with regard to front bearings,etc.If they are like everything else on the truk they need attention..:trash:

Just getting finished with transmission cooling lines, power steering hoses and brake lines So routine maintenance is in order.This is my first ever 4x4 and 2500 drivetrain is different from 1500 drive train(I think).

Thanks in advance for all advice.

#3 ·
Oh, you'll know when the front bearings go. You'll get vibrations and noises. I've had to do both sides of my '06 already.

#5 ·
1500 trucks have IFS. They aren't a solid axle. They have upper and lower control arms with a CV shaft much like the design of a FWD car...just beefier. 2500 trucks use a 4-link suspension system and have a solid axle front end with universal joints out at the ends where the wheels turn. No CV shafts or rubber boots, no control arms, no torsion bars. Both systems use coil springs. :thumb:

#6 ·
Another big difference between the 1500 and 2500 trucks is in the differentials themselves. The 2500 has bigger and heavier axles. 9.25" ring gear out front and 10.5" ring gear in the rear. 1500 differentials have a 9.25" ring gear in the back and an 8.0" ring gear out front. :thumb:

#7 ·
gotcha..

So on my 2500, there are actually universal joints at the wheel end of the axles ..which I assume are what wears out..just like the fore and aft driveshaft on a RWD vehicle..?

Given the salt and snow environment for 6 years of my truck(Rhode Island)..would it be wise to order these joints and plan to have them replaced at my convenience rather than breakdown?

I am retired and typically use this truck only for lumber yard runs and towing my toy hauler..It is while on long trips that I don't want ANY problems if I can prevent them.

I also don't want to pay $43K for a new gas 2500....:eek:

#8 ·
The universal joints will wear out, I had to replace both sides. Wheel bearings will also wear out, I had to replace both sides of those too. They aren't serviceable, the whole hub gets replaced when they go bad. Ball joints out by the wheels will wear out too eventually. Pretty easy to check the ball joints for play. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.