Hemi Truck Club banner

Spark Plugs/My first time.

10K views 59 replies 18 participants last post by  MikeHTally 
#1 ·
About to change my plugs myself for the first time. Any words of wisdom or wishing of good luck?

#6 ·
I use a heavy towel over the radiator and stand on a crate. I just lay over the radiator and take my time. This is the only tool I use to remove and replace the spark plugs.
I also use anti-sieze on the threads. Don't over tighten.

#8 · (Edited)
Yep, exclusively from your local parts store.... ;)

It is one piece and has a built-in swivel.

#10 ·
you can also put an old pillow over the radiator for a little extra comfort while leaning over in the engine bay.....

#11 ·
Similar concept as Greg's with 2 swivels. I have a shoe string through it because my socket wouldn't let go of the plugs and the extensions kept coming apart :facepalm:

Attachments

#15 ·
That plug socket/extension I posted has a magnet to hold the plug.
Storytime: I was changing springs once and I screwed the air adaptor into the plug hole and then when I removed it the adaptor stayed screwed in the hole/head... I paid hell trying to get that sucker unscrewed and out. It will never happen again as I stuck it in a vice and seriously wrenched that sucker tight to the hose fitting....

#16 ·
:eek: That would definitely be worse! My plug socket has the rubber inside. More traditional with the exception of the swivel end.

#18 ·
Ya, I was saying you had a much worse day than I :D

#19 ·
I was pissed because I didn't realize the air compressor wasn't running and the valve stem just dropped in the blink of an eye.... bonding is a wonderful thing...... ugh

#20 ·
You didn't trust that head gasket anyway, right? :hide:

#21 ·
yep, that side needed to be freshened up....

#22 ·
Got the socket w/ the swivel extension, got a couple of moving blankets and pillow, and got something to stand on now I am waiting on the plugs since I had to order them.

Another question though. How did ya'll deal with the brake master cylinder? Was it just an annoyance? Also what about the two heater lines going into the firewall on the passenger side? Are those easy to unhook and move out of the way?

#23 ·
The coil insulators are flexible and you can stick them in the valve cover hole and just wiggle them into place. The coils and the socket if it is the same as mine will fit under the master cylinder. The heater hoses I don't remember ever being a problem, I probably moved mine out of the way years ago. Just make yourself comfortable where you can reach everything and it'll go smooth for you. Don't forget to use anti-seize on the plug threads. I also use dielectric grease on the boots.

#24 ·
With my dual swivels I have all kinds of wiggle room to get in and out around the brake booster. The thing I don't like about my setup is that I need to untwist the shoe string constantly but for the one time I've used it so far it's not that big of a deal. I'm going to do the plugs in the '11 soon because I have no idea when they were last done. This way I'll know :D

#25 ·
A flexible magnet helps so you don't need a string should that come apart. The socket Gregg uses has the swivel built into it so it won't come apart. At work I use locking extensions so I never have one drop off bit getting the plugs out of the holes is fun especially when the rubber is not in the plug socket. I prefer not having the rubber in there because I have had plugs get stuck and not want to let my socket go lol.

#27 ·
A flexible magnet helps so you don't need a string should that come apart. The socket Gregg uses has the swivel built into it so it won't come apart. At work I use locking extensions so I never have one drop off bit getting the plugs out of the holes is fun especially when the rubber is not in the plug socket. I prefer not having the rubber in there because I have had plugs get stuck and not want to let my socket go lol.
And that's why the shoe string through the swivel socket :D I'm not cool with letting them drop down in there so I leave the rubber in, maybe I worry too much lol

More than one way to skin a mongoose :D I don't deal with changing Hemi plugs often. I'm not a mechanic by trade and I only own 1 Hemi so it gets me by :D

I will say the Hemi plugs are MUCH easier to change than the Mitsubishi plugs. Talk about some engineers being ignorant of consumers there! Either that or they didn't have much faith they'd last until they needed a plug change :lol:

#26 ·
Trust me guys the setup I use with the magnet is perfect for doing plugs in the hemi..

#28 ·
Thanks, I got the socket (rubber insert included) with the swivel. I'm just going to have to take my time with it, once the plugs come in (had to order them). I cleaned the TB last night, man that thing was nasty! Also went ahead and cleaned the PCV since I was in there. My truck still seems to have a slight stumble/misfire but nowhere as bad as before, especially at start-up. See how things go from here. Thanks for all the help!

#29 ·
ANyone have a link to the socket with built in magnet/swivel Id like to order some.

#31 ·
Part No. 80546D/80546

#33 ·
Just added to amazon cart thanks

#35 ·
Changing Spark Plugs, Coil Packs?

Spark Plugs should be simple enough according to what we're reading here, but what about the Coil Packs.

No problems here, just time to do this at 125,000 miles. The thuck has been maintained by one of the Chrysler dealerships in Reno, with the tuneups being done by them also.

Time to do this ourselves, or pay them?

'05 1500 Hemi Quad Cab 4x4 Short Bed.

Richard and Judy
The Maxx2Racing Team

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.