Hemi Truck Club banner

Spark Plugs/My first time.

10K views 59 replies 18 participants last post by  MikeHTally 
#1 ·
About to change my plugs myself for the first time. Any words of wisdom or wishing of good luck?

#38 ·
I ordered my plugs from Rock Auto and they were on my door step 8 days later.
It takes that long to send a letter across town here.

With freight they cost me $3 each compared with $9 if i purchased local. The price goes up and down with the fluctuations of our dollar against the Greenback.

#39 ·
I ordered my plugs from Rock Auto and they were on my door step 8 days later.
It takes that long to send a letter across town here.

With freight they cost me $3 each compared with $9 if i purchased local. The price goes up and down with the fluctuations of our dollar against the Greenback.
Tui, that's quite a savings... well done..

#40 ·
It was thanks to you Greg for your advice. Being so far away, if it goes wrong, it ain't fixed easy.

same with my brake pads. Front and rear nz$100 freight included compared with $220 bought local.

The other issue with buying local is there is no choice. As they say "you can have any colour you want , as long as its black"

#41 ·
It was thanks to you Greg for your advice. Being so far away, if it goes wrong, it ain't fixed easy.

same with my brake pads. Front and rear nz$100 freight included compared with $220 bought local.

The other issue with buying local is there is no choice. As they say "you can have any colour you want , as long as its black"
That's a Henry Ford quote lol

#42 ·
Glad you are getting everything so quickly. I've been waiting on a back order from TCI for over a month and was just told maybe they will ship the 20th... ugh... patience is needed when working on our trucks...

#44 ·
I found the most difficult the driver side. Four rear plugs were impossible to get with the extensions I used. And I have like 3-4 extensions. So I had to fish out plugs with my finger.
I never done it on the truck before so it took me like 4 hours with a throttle body cleaning.
I have a write up on how to clean the TB. I can post if here if you interested.
I'd rather clean 5 throttle bodies that change a set of plugs =D

#46 ·
It took me about 2 hours to change the plugs on my 07' and I found the drivers side easy, spent most time on the passenger side. I use a flexible spark plug socket with 1" extension and a 3/8 drive ratchet plus if needed I use a magnet to fish out stubborn plugs. My first change was at 60K, the previous owner failed to replace the spark plugs at the 30K service.

I think there is already a post of the throttle body cleaning procedures

#45 ·
jwberry, just take your time. You will get everything you need to replace. I suggest you should replace cables too. Make absolutely sure that you do not get anything stuck and DO NOT strip any threads, have plenty of extensions. Towards the cab, last ones especially driver side pain in the mud but ,thanks lord, it could have been ford f250 van. About the magnet though, just use the rubber plug if you drop the s plug to pull it out. You don't need luck, just need time, be a Turtle, unless the sky falling down don't rush it.

#48 ·
This socket has a magnet to pull the plug out it is all you need. My truck has hydroboost installed now and really frees up the room.

Attachments

#49 ·
I just picked that socked up, Ill try it next time.

#50 ·
Thursday 2nd March 20:00hours.

Changed my plugs at 75000 miles from memory. its much as you blokes say, slow work. Took me 4 hours and the problem for me was the back one drivers side. With hands the size of dinner plates there wasn't much room so I was doing it by feel mostly, which was complicated by the fact i have two fingers missing on my right hand which was doing the work for a left handed man. .
Got it out Ok. but when I put the new one in I couldn't get it to thread up. tried over and over but no success. Finally got it to bed in when I discovered I had been trying to put the plug on top of the plug in front.
Of course when i showed my mechanic the plugs I had taken out, he suggested they were in good order and would have done another 25000 easy. There are times I wish some people would keep their opinions to themselves.

#51 ·
Tui, job well done.. if your mechanic's is a friend and just trying to irritate you well enough. But if that was his professional opinion then find another mechanic as there is a penalty being paid for running plugs high mileage that's paid in lost fuel mileage and performance. You'll notice by measuring the gap of the old plugs that they widen .001" for every 2000 miles. I've found if I use a heavy padding over the front of the truck I can stand on a old milk bottle crate I've made into a step/stool and lay on the padding to reach the rear drivers plugs. I have my plugs gapped closer than the factory .045" and frequently inspect them so with practice have gotten good at removing them. Plus my brake booster has been removed. Which is modification for another thread.

#57 ·
Haha if you want room... hydraboost.

Attachments

#59 ·
It certainly increases braking. You have to be a little careful about stomping on the pedal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.