Hemi Truck Club banner

Real gas in new truck

8K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  RAM4 
#1 ·
Anybody running 100% gas ? If so can you tell any difference in power or mpg ?

#5 ·
Real gas meaning no ethanol? It seems to make a big difference on gas mileage, especially in my old '88. Here when you can find it, it's 92 or 93 octane premium and about 80 cents more a gallon than regular. I only used it once in the Hemi, mileage was better but I don't think it would pay. Also not legal to use I suppose. I always use it in the snowmobiles and small engines though, and it stores for years.

#7 ·
I have found running real gas 91 oct breaks even cost wise with the increased mpg's. But when you factor in that the real gas is just better for the engine and system overall with less trips to the station, then it's a winner.

It seems like your paying more, it's really slightly cheaper and less of a hassle. I run real gas whenever I can find it traveling or when I'm filling up locally.

#8 ·
In our car the difference is about 10%, it is a 2007. I'm not sure about the truck.

How Does Ethanol Impact Fuel Efficiency? - Road & Track

"We typically hear of mileage drops in the 6- to nearly 10-percent range, but then, folks experiencing a 3- to 5-percent drop probably aren't fired up enough to write us. "

Big increase in mpg since switching to ethanol-free gas. - Car Talk

"About 6,000 miles ago, I stopped running gas with ethanol in it. I've got a '96 Burb that was stuck at 10 mpg no matter what I did, how I drove it, etc. I switched to ethanol-free gas. First tank 12.6 mpg. Second tank 14 mpg. And it has remained at 14 mpg every tank since then, no matter how I'm driving it."

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Ethanol Free Gas Stations

Find ethanol-free E0 gas stations

Boaters have had serious issues with the e-10 junk. It is stupid to mandate it's use. You can't store the fuel for long. Gasoline Expiration - Ethanol Blend Fuels Have a Short Shelf Life

Is the EPA off base with its ethanol fuel mandate? - The Biss List - Modern Tire Dealer

#10 ·
I can't afford to run the real gas. The super unl. E10 is 30 cents/gallon cheaper here than regular unl. Iowa, being the tall corn state, subsidizes ethanol which makes it so much cheaper to use. Right now, looking out my window at the Casey's, super is 3.299 and regular is 3.599. I would have to get 10% better mileage (16.5 instead of 15) for the regular to be worth it. I've tried it, 3 tanks in a row to make sure all the ethanol was out, and it only yields about 6.5% better mileage in my 2006 2500. The E10 is advantageous for keeping water out of the gas. The alcohol soaks it up just like heet. Don't get frozen fuel lines in the winter with ethanol blends either.

#11 ·
The E10 is advantageous for keeping water out of the gas. The alcohol soaks it up just like heet. Don't get frozen fuel lines in the winter with ethanol blends either.

Ever heard of phase separation?

Phase Separation in Ethanol Blended Gasoline

https://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-measures/topics/fuel/Contamination/Water-and-Ethanol-Blends.jsp

I kid not when I call it junk.

http://www.echo-usa.com/Warranty/Learn-About-Ethanol/Ethanol-Fuel-062512

The Problem With Ethanol | B3C Fuel Solutions

Now that I am working for someone else and have a company truck I will only use non-ethanol fuel because my truck will sit most of the time. I know of no additive that will solve the fuel separation issue.

Ethanol subsidies are BS.

#15 ·
Found real gas at WaWa yesterday for 4.08 per @89oct. Filled the tank. Drove on I75 @69mph (I stay there a lot because the truck shakes 71 to 79) was getting 14.9 mpg compaired to reg.e87 I get 13.5 at the same speed the same stretch of road.

May have been a tail wind or something. But I will keep an eye on it.:thumb:

#16 ·
Unfortunately I don't think 89 exists anymore....probably an old sticker. I was under the impression that they dropped all the regular, E10 or not, to 87 octane earlier this year. I did some searching and the only place that sells real gas in my area is literally the airport(87 and 100:brows:)....but I don't have a plane.......:ermm:

#19 ·
Keith get the Pure gas app posted about earlier it tells you where its available in your area. :thumb:

#18 ·
Can't be an old sticker, the station was just built and opened 2 weeks ago

#20 ·
Weird. Our choices here are 87 or 91 both E10.....Maybe being inland so far we just get the leftover table scraps no one else wants.....:ermm:

#29 ·
I switched to 89oct non ethanol and my mpg went up over 1--1.5 mpg just saying--have always used 89 oct in my lawn mowers, edgers, blowers, etc. I have less fuel problems

#31 ·
Monday 7.20 PM.

When you talk about "real gas" are you describing 100 octane ( leaded petrol)?
I was under the impression the Hemi didn't function well with the higher rated fuel. 100 octane which for us is Aviation gas, is illegal in vehicles used for normal motoring here. its all unleaded petrol and my Cadillac runs like **** on it when I cant find somebody to supply me with a few gallons of rocket fuel at about $15 a gallon.

#32 ·
Monday 7.20 PM.

When you talk about "real gas" are you describing 100 octane ( leaded petrol)?
I was under the impression the Hemi didn't function well with the higher rated fuel. 100 octane which for us is Aviation gas, is illegal in vehicles used for normal motoring here. its all unleaded petrol and my Cadillac runs like **** on it when I cant find somebody to supply me with a few gallons of rocket fuel at about $15 a gallon.
Real gas = ethanol-free gas, with an octane rating in the neighborhood of 91 to 93, with zero lead contents. Ethanol is a renewable, domestically produced alcohol fuel made from plant material, such as corn, sugar cane, or grasses. Our so-called government will have you believe this additive will actually help your vehicle mileage and burn cleaner thereby reducing exhaust emissions. Ethanol nullifies the idea of labeling it "real gas".

Whenever the boss feels she wants to turn loose a few dollars my direction, I'll head on down the road and around the corner to Centerville's SugarShack and fill-up on some "real gas". The local gearheads tell me it will take a tank full or two to wash out the ethanol and to feel a little twinge in the seat when it comes to romping the throttle. Personally, I can tell the difference, mileage wise on the first tank, because my mileage jumps to the better by a mile or two per gallon. Performance? Not much of a difference at 8000 ft. above. A little, but not much. However, there was this night about a month ago, when I took our daughter and granddaughter to the airport in Colorado Springs with a tankfull of "real gas". That HEMI felt like it ruled the streets of COS at 2:00 am. Lower elevation? Cooler air? Idk, but it was fun! :thumb:

#33 ·
Tui, do a little research on water methanol injection. It's used primarily on boost engines to raise octane level and to cool the intake air charge making it denser. This also helps with na engines that have hi-compression and need a octane bump to keep detonation under control. The Snow systems are my preference.

#36 ·
We have ethanol here, but its a boutique fuel favoured by the fashionable crowd. its not popular with petrolheads. 98 is our top grade of petrol and aint cheap at about 3 dollars more expensive than 91 which is our lowest grade and the one I run the truck and my Harley's on.

#37 ·
I'm thinking this statement may not please the Corn Belt Crowd or the City Slicker Tree Huggers but I'm hoping this "ethanol experiment" is soon to be a passing phase/craze and we can go back to feeding the corn to our cattle :cowboy1_icon:.

:D :thumb:

#38 ·
It's all bs IMO. As you have said feed the corn to the cows. Feeding the fuel industry only raises the prices of food and beef. Another example of back door taxes.

#40 ·
Ethanol works fine for your average daily driver. I run it in my Mitsubishi because it's cheaper and I couldn't care less if that grenades tomorrow. I run "real gas" 91 with no ethanol in the truck. I didn't like what the computer was having to do to run on the cheap 87 octane fuel. Lots of timing being pulled a lot of the time.

#41 ·
We have lots of tree huggers here, them and the greenpeace commando's roam free crying about the damage to the environment vehicle emissions cause.
I'm all for saving the planet, but i draw the line when it comes to restrictions on my hitting the loud pedal on the highway of my life.
When they ask me why I drive such large gas guzzling monsters, I reply, "I'm rich, I can afford to waste the earths resources. It's obvious by the way a few react,some people have no sense of humour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.