Hemi Truck Club banner

PCV Valve Replacement

74K views 75 replies 17 participants last post by  Red Baron 
#1 ·
Does anyone know when you are supposed to change the PCV valve? I pulled mine off and it was covered in oil and had a buildup on it. I cleaned it off and put it back on. Thought I heard somewhere that if you shake it and it rattles pretty good then it needs to be replaced??
This is what it looked like.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. Mine rattled pretty good so it must be ok. I was thinking of replacing it anyway. I am at 45k so I guess it wouldn't hurt.

#4 ·
It doesn't hurt to change it its one of those missed maint parts during tune ups

I plastic welded mine shut for the track and I have a working one for the street I also have the exhaust vent valves from the valve covers that do basically the same thing as the pcv valve just keeping all the nasty oil out of the intake

#5 ·
Nice! I just installed a catch can a few days ago. I opened it up today and saw a little bit of oil in there already. Thats what prompted me to look at the PCV. Pretty scary how much oil our 4th gens suck up into the fuel system.

#12 ·
I live in a relatively small town, and I checked at several auto parts stores. I was told they either don't stock it or don't carry it.:confused: I ordered one from Parts Geek (cheapest price I could find). The total cost was $32.05 including shipping. It is made by Standard, part number V377, and is dark blue in color.:ermm: I will soon have 60,000 miles on my 2007 Ram so I will be replacing the original PCV valve at that time.:thumb:

#16 ·
I had to get my last one from a Stealership. $25. Not bad.

#18 ·
Why would you take the intake off just to clean it? That's a bit of work. I would clean it in place. But If you do remove it I believe Carb. cleaner is not recommended. (Not sure why.) I used brake cleaner to do mine. And just general engine degreaser for the outside.

Or are you talking about just the throttle body?

#22 ·
I'm sorry, I think your talking about the Hemi hat and all the plastic stuff that attaches to the air cleaner? Did i misunderstand you? :facepalm:

#24 ·
I thought the same thing. But after a few more posts I'm not sure. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.