Hemi Truck Club banner

PCV Valve Replacement

74K views 75 replies 17 participants last post by  Red Baron 
#1 ·
Does anyone know when you are supposed to change the PCV valve? I pulled mine off and it was covered in oil and had a buildup on it. I cleaned it off and put it back on. Thought I heard somewhere that if you shake it and it rattles pretty good then it needs to be replaced??
This is what it looked like.

See less See more
#32 ·
Last time I pulled off the hemi hat I noticed it had oily residue all inside, from the pcv I guess. Should I clean the hat out periodically?

#33 ·
You can its that breather hose running from the filler to the intake that's causing the oil residue if you run that line into a sealed catch can then to intake pipe you won't have that oil issue anymore but will still have the pcv oil

#34 ·
So I can run a catch can on it? I thought you couldn't on the 3rd gens... now I need to find one :)

#36 · (Edited)
the pcv side you cant catch can. the fresh air side that runs from the factory air box over to the filler neck for the oil does add residue to the intake charge pipe. hence the oily film inside the hat leading to the throttle body. this can have a catch can put on it either vented or non vented. nonvented will need to be hooked back up to airbox, vented will just need to be mounted and plug factory hole off.

#37 ·
Wow...I feel like an idiot...lol...after I get rid of problem number 1 (abs lights and speedo...etc) someone igoing to have to explain this "catch can" system to me. Maybe a picture will help. Im real close on problem #1. I think its a broken wire and I know the general area (under the fuse box)

#38 ·
Great PCV system info here. Read up on it after you get your vehicles running again! It does explain why a catch can on the intake air side can help.

Good luck!

#39 ·
so I'm curious why the hemi has to vent the oil cap to begin with? that tube always smells like a mixture of oil and gas. my oil cap always has moisture in the top and I've never seen anything like this set up on another vehicle. It just seems like these engineers are always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Also, with this stupid set up in mind couldn't you just put a small crank case breather filter on a nipple coming off the filler neck? kind of like some of the Harleys do with their crank case breathers. then just change it every so often

#40 ·
That's what mine has on it now. :thumb:

#42 ·
I really miss cleaning the oil out of my intake tube. :facepalm: but no issues so far.:thumb:

#44 ·
Where can I get the filter to put on the vent near the oil fill? What do I use to plug off air box? Pro's and Con's of this?

#45 ·
Local auto parts store has rubber caps of different sizes and the little filters. Look in the Fast & Furious section...

#46 ·
Lol, ANyone just have a part number I could order off amazon?

#48 ·
Does the K&N cold air intake need to be capped off?

#50 ·
Maybe you should read about doing this before going any further, either you are ill prepared to modify your truck or you are trolling. Have fun either way.....

#52 ·
Lol not a troll, Just not sure if cold air intakes ( Ordering one soon ) have this port or if you have to delete it that is my question. Also where I live it is about 40 Min trip to an auto store that would have this in stock so I was just wondering if someone had a Part # I could just order off of amazon. Sorry if I bothered you with my question.

#55 ·
I live in Farm country, I do have a Napa close ( 15 Min or so ) but they don't stock stuff like this.

I searched on Amazon and I measured the hose ends on my truck and it looks like they are about 3/4. I found Dorman caps and a K&N Filter/Breather. Ill order them up and get hose and Clamps from napa.

Any Neg to this? This line that we are putting filter on allows air in the motor and then the PVC lets it out? I figured id do it just to clean it up a bit when I do CAI.

#57 ·
Mine was blue, looked just like that picture. I suppose you could clean it with wd40 as long as you removed the rubber gasket first.

#59 ·
I ordered a OEM one the blue that Napa had would drive me crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.