Hemi Truck Club banner

Oil - what to use ?

59K views 145 replies 32 participants last post by  BigART 
#1 ·
I use Valvoline 5-30, don't use the synthetic. what is the advantage of the synthetic oil​

#6 ·
only use Royal Purple in my truck.

#8 · (Edited)
:thumb:

Most of what is in the market are group 3 synthetics aka petroleum. Mobil, Valvoline, Royal Purple, Castrol Syntec, etc etc.

AMSOIL XL and OE are such examples. AMSOIL also carries 100% synthetics.

#9 · (Edited)
Hi ralph4570,

The advantages are higher sheer strength, better lubricity, more consistent viscosity, better hard duty endurance. Because of these qualities it will decrease engine wear and tends to stick to the metal better leaving a film at start up if you run the engine fairly regularly. I ran it in all my bikes and will be running it in the truck. I also run it in my 2003 Sebring LXI coupe. I use Castrol Edge

preachp

#10 · (Edited)
:thumb:

Testing a few years ago shown Castrol Syntec equal to Royal Purple. Just food for thought.

I'm a fan of good ole Castrol GTX. I've seen motors torn down for repair/rebuild with Castrol GTX vs Penzoil. Castrol GTX doesn't sludge up like Penzoil does.

#12 ·
I think you've been a little misinformed Mike, but hey, everyone has opinions.

Not everything on the road is water cooled. When your oil can't handle the heat you get sludge and deposits. Conventional oil does not due well in general, most lose 20% in volatility.

My wife's 03' Mustang GT gets 22-23mpg's with all fluids synthetic. It's all stock minus the mufflers. Not even a programmer. The 03' was only supposed to get something like 17mpg. It's her daily driver.

My 03' Hemi 1500 QCSB got 23.4mpg's hand calculated. That truck wasn't supposed to do that well either.

My first oil change in my Hemi was with AMSOIL. I performed oil analysis ritually and did not have to change the oil again for 3 years and 35K miles. The only reason I had to change then was because the viscosity shown closer to a 40 than a 30. Beyond that all additives and wear metals where in outstanding condition.

My current truck is seeing over 21mpg's on longish trips with some mixed driving hand calculated.

Good synthetics do make a difference.

#13 ·
"My 03' Hemi 1500 QCSB got 23.4mpg's hand calculated..."

I can't drive that slow.

Do you really believe Dodge would not recommend synthetic across the board if they could prove mileage that good? I suspect an extra one mile per gallon would be worth 50,000 annual unit sales.

Mis-informed? Nah. Just threw away my rose-tinted glasses.

#14 ·
Just swapping the oil in my truck I picked up 2mpg's. I got another .5 with the transmission and another .5 with the differential. 65mph is the speed limit here, LOL.

Most of the guys I hang out with with 03-07's picked up 1.5mpg on average by swapping the engine oil.

Dodge is doing better right now with reports of the new Eco truck getting 27mpgs.

Most OEM's are recommending synthetic now and more so for ones that have a synthetic to offer under their own branding. It's more common now then it was 5-10 years ago.

#16 ·
You guys do know that Mobil's quality has gone way down since Exxon bought them right?

They used to use PAO in their higher tier products which made it a 100% synthetic and now they use a Group 3 Petroleum, aka Full Synthetic, and sell for the higher price still.

Pretty sad really, Mobil wa one of the best companies around for such a long time.

I'd still take Mobil over some of the other offerings out there.

#17 ·
Borrowed this from another forum's discussion of oil changes:

"Synthetic oil is better for your car's engine and it improves your fuel economy. Myth. Steve Mazor, manager of the American Automobile Association's Research Center, says his testing shows that synthetic oil is generally a superior lubricant, but adds, "I'm not sure it is worth the extra cost — you need to take some of the [manufacturer's] claims with a grain of salt."
Blackstone's Stark says he has not seen data to support claims that synthetic oils boost increased fuel economy. "There is a school of thought that says the synthetic oils are slipperier and allow the engine to spin easier — I don't know that I believe that."

#18 ·
I run synthetic 10-30 Mobil 1

Synthetics help protect the metal a bit better on start up and resist break down a bit better than standard oils

I would choose an oil based on viscosity and what you drive more

If in the city more run a synthetic since the stop and go and eng not running at full normal temps which all leads to moisture in the oil and breakdown/degradation

Run normal oil if highway driving alot since rpm and temp is steady just my 2 cents work on cars all day and have seen engs die using either oil mainly from neglect either way just make sure its full

#19 ·
just make sure its full
That really is the best advice anyone can give.

Take it from my sons experience, these engines do not run very well, or for long without oil. :icon_nono:

#21 ·
Thought this was interesting on synthetic oil's, you deciede.

Watch out for the "legends" and "wise tails" out there. The data is available to anyone who wishes to read it. I have dyno experience with Mobil 1 and have been on the Champ Car racing circuit. I've worked with Mobil 1 and other manufacturers, and I can tell you without a shadow of doubt, data to back it up that:

1. It's never too late to switch
2. It's never to early to switch
3. It's not thinner, it's not thicker
4. Does not increase oil consumption
5. Does not promote gasket failure
6. Does not clean or loosen carbon deposits
7. Does not do anything different than oil except provide superior protection and added insurance. Can also free up a few ponies (we saw increases on average of around 5-8 hp on a 600+hp race motor). It virtually stops engine wear as soon as it's used. It's better for the environment. It's molecularity better than dyno oil in every way.

There's a reason high end cars come standard with it. There's a reason we had zero engine failures during the 2000-2001 seasons, once we switched to Mobil 1. Do the research, the internet is your friend here. There is tons of data out there, but be careful because there is tons of bull crap untrue and false information (not data) as well.....

#22 ·
I have a "10 myths about synthetic" on my webpage PureSyn.net "First in Synthetics".

I'd question #1, because it can be costly.

We dyno'd a hemi and it picked up a few hp... i don't recall as it was back in 03-04. I think on a Nascar motor it picked up 34HP.

#23 ·
For me synthetic is the only way to go, so i'm with you ART. I don't understand some people's train of thought. At the least, it save's time/work on 1 oil change as apposed to 2 in dino oil in it's longer life. Everyone seem's to be in agreement on it's superiority, so why would you not protect your expensive investment with it? For the same mileage/time frame the cost is about the same, with superior result's all around. I don't know about the differance's on full synthetic vs. 100% synthetic but it's a win win not matter which one you choose. JMO

#24 ·
Some people are against change. Those same people are typing replies on their iphones sipping iced coffees at starbucks on free wifi talking about how everyone needs to turn in their guns, trust the government and be more liberal.

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. LOL

#25 ·
:lol::rofl::lol:

#28 ·
:thatsdeep: and :igiveup:

#29 ·
Most people don't even keep their vehicles for very long anymore.. they turn them over like they do their cell phones.. The next guy that buys it doesn't know what he's getting. It's a selfish world we live in.

I hate buying used cars. The last 3 we've bought have all been brand new. The first thing I change is the gear lube because I know all factory fluids fail API testing. Next it's the transmission and then the first oil change to synthetic.

Crude oil sucks.. it will always sludge and cause deposits. It cannot be manufactured well enough to stop that. All they try to do is add more detergent. A good synthetic will last much longer than petroleum everytime.

Then you get the people that get free oil changes from the dealership. They're really not saving any money or time with it. The dealerships just put in whatever is the cheapest oil and filter they can buy.

Most people are just sheep. It's sad to say the least.

#32 ·
Most people don't even keep their vehicles for very long anymore.. they turn them over like they do their cell phones.. It's a selfish world we live in...
Actually, quite the opposite is true. The average age of a vehicle in use has gone up considerably in the past decade. As I recall, the average age is around eleven years.

Thirty years ago, it was unheard of (and rare) for a vehicle to make it to 100K. Now, it's common ('cept for GM - average life span of ten minutes :D).

The P.O. of my Ram kept it four years and 86 kilomiles - only traded 'cause he needed more truck to tow his horse trailer. In August, I'll have had it seven years. In July, it'll be eleven years old. Our newest vehicle is an '08, oldest is an '02. If someone had told me 40 years ago I'd keep a vehicle to over 100K, I'd have probably thought they were nuts, yet we now have two.

#31 ·
Castrol Syntec isn't to bad.

Long story about Castrol and Mobil over the legality of them calling it synthetic. Google it!

#33 ·
LOL on the GM

Thanks for the correction. I'm living in a bubble in California it seems sometimes.

#34 ·
Mike, isn't the higher mileage now more than ever a good reason to use synthetic? If it give's me a cleaner, better lubricated, less wear motor, and maybe free's up a few ponies i'm happy. In the end i know i'll get the max mile's out of it and save some money on repair's. To each his own i quess.

#35 ·
Hi All,
I will use Castrol Edge. I have used it in my 03 Sebring LXI and the car burns 0 oil and has no knock pings or taps. If it works on that it will work in the truck as well. On top of that with the thinner (lower viscosity) oil these engines use, the added shear strength and film adhesion is IMHO very important to engine longevity.

preachp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.