Hemi Truck Club banner

O2 Sensors ? & More Help

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  rockin98 
#1 ·
Since I am doing some general tune-up/part replacements to try and fix the misfire/stumble I am having.
Would the O2 throw a code if it is just a POS, cause it is old and never been changed?

Then:
What is the difference between the upstream and downstream sensors? Are they different sensors? I looked at them and all 4 look the same. But looking into ordering them on Rockauto and the upstream are more expensive and I am guessing I would need 2 of each.

Is the O2 sensor socket worth the purchase?

#2 ·
When you pull them out you will see the difference. I think it was the front that had several small holes and the rear one larger hole. It's been a while since I looked at them. Becareful because the local parts store will tell you they are the same. They are not...

#3 ·
Thanks. I am probably going to order them through Rockauto since they seem to be specific as to which is which.
My engine light cleared and the misfire seems to be gone since I cleaned the TB and PCV. Still going to do the spark plugs since they are already ordered.

#4 ·
I often use RockAuto for OEM parts. By all means change the plugs. well done..

Reactions: jwberry
#5 ·
yes the factory set up does shave 2 different oxygen sensors.

Front 2 and driver rear are wide band. passenger rear in short band.

However from what I have experienced this is what causes the P013C code.

Note sure what is dodges reason was for the one short band sensor.

Order 4 of the NTK sensors from Rockauto Part#23159 $26.79
sensors are plug and play for 06-08 hemi

I have them on my 07 now with 40,000 miles zero codes. :coolsmiley:

Truck also runs alot smother now.

Make sure and tighten till washer is crushed. I don't remember the torque off hand. Absolutely do not put any type of anti seize or oil on then. it will ruin the sensors.

#6 ·
I'm not familiar with 06+, but I doubt that you will find wide band sensors on any of the OEM systems especially the rears. On the 03 there are only one front narrow band and a different rear. On the 04 thru 05 there are four sensors two front narrow band and two different ones in the rear. The front give input to the pcm to manage fuel and the rear are emission monitors(cats) counting voltage changes (flips). No reason I know of to have the same sensor both front and rear. Pls state your source for the information you have posted so we can all learn from it.
Thx

#7 ·
It appears in 07 there is a change over date with the introduction of MDS that the same O2s can be used both forward and rear. Non MDS still uses different O2s for forward and rears. Vin D engines. I stand corrected.

#8 ·
Yes they are diff bit no wide band sensors are is use in the Rams a WIDEBAND has 5 wires not 4. ULEV (ultra low emmision vehicle) use wide bands. Most new turbo cars or direct injection also use wide band. I am yet to see a wide band on a ram truck even the smaller vans and suv either. I think the hellcat has widebands but that would make sense with that power.

#9 · (Edited)
so they are in deed 4 wire which are considered short band
I don't remember off hand where i read about the oxygen sensor on the right rear being different. how ever I did find the sheet I wrote down the part numbers on and they are
56029049AA which is LF,LR,RF

56029049AB which is RR

AS for the source I will keep digging in my records to see where I found this.

For the P013c code I don't have any reference to back me up. Just what Ive experienced.
Dodge changed my Oxygen sensors and ECM twice. Lasted for about 6 months then came back again. Dodge wanted to once again change my ECM. Which was now out of warranty. So looking at the voltage of the O2 sensors I noticed the right rear had a shorter band than the rest. The 3 sensors would run in a range from .325-1.0 at the highest. The RR once it went above .750 it would set the P013c code.

thats when I found that the sensor was different from dodge when doing some research. I do have a 2007 Ram with 5.7ezb which is vin code 2 not vin code D.
So maybe it is different due to the MDS system which my truck has from the factory. I have turned it off with the Diablo tuner if that matters.

Installed the NTK sensors and still have zero codes after 40,000 miles.

Just trying to help with what I've experienced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.